A Good Day for Walking

Once Umeko had realized her feelings, she was supposed to try to find out what Ushijima thought of her and maybe, just maybe confess. That was the plan. Unfortunately, with both the art competition and volleyball tournament around the corner it was hard to have an opportunity. Instead, Umeko resigned herself to wait until after the tournament and the competition, for now the both of them needed to focus on what they were pursuing. This was the last year for Umeko and Ushijima.

Umeko sighed as she finished folding her last crane. There was something therapeutic about folding and thinking at the same time. It seemed to keep her mind occupied without overthinking too much. "The mystery fourth member hasn't visited in a while." She tried to keep the disappointment in her voice at a minimum, but it was a little hard.

Hm, who is the member anyway? Umeko had her suspicions on who it could be, but at the same time she wasn't so sure. After three years of meeting each other she was scared to look up and see their face for the first time. Umeko wasn't sure what she was expecting but she didn't want to risk the disappointment if the person wasn't who she hoped it was. She stood up and walked to the cubby. Umeko switched out her school bag with her origami paper. "Let's get going."

-------

"So, what'd you say? Can you watch us?" Tendou chirped with a grin on his face. "It'll be our last tournament and when we win, we'll be going to nationals!"

Umeko grinned equally as bright as Tendou. "Actually, I can watch the matches this time!" She had taken extra care to keep her schedule free that day. "It's the last tournament of the year – barring nationals of course."

Tendou clapped then spun around once. "Yeah!" He fist bumped the air then handed her a slip of paper. "Here. The entrance ticket. The tournament date and time is written on the front and the location is printed on the back. Don't get lost, ok?"

"So, you were planning on giving me the ticket regardless of my decision?" Umeko pocketed the ticket as the pair neared the gym.

"Well of course! You are an honorary member after all!" Goshiki popped up in front of the pair just as they stepped into the gym. An adorable smile never left his face as he practically bounced on spot. "I'm so nervous. But so excited." Goshiki's eyes seemed to sparkle with anticipation.

"Speaking of, how about you? Are you excited for the art competition?" Oohira joined the conversation with a wave. Turns out, during the past two days the news of her upcoming art competition was spread to the team.

Umeko clasped her hands together tightly. "I'm really excited but super nervous as well. We are given a few hours to make the best presentation we can with the materials we bring in. The first year I participated I brought sculpting clay. It was a bit of a hassle so for my second year I brought large sketch paper." Umeko paused for a moment and tapped her lips in thought. "This year I think I'll bring in a canvas and paint."

"Is painting your specialty?" Oohira asked. He had seen her draw plenty of times before, but he had never seen her paint.

"Oh, not at all!" Umeko laughed. "I think I'm best at drawing, but soap sculpting is probably a close second. In terms of painting I'd say I'm pretty decent at acrylics, but watercolors..." Umeko visibly deflated from either exasperation or resignation, "...Watercolors are very not my thing."

"We all have something we aren't good at. If you keep practicing, you'll get it one day." Semi gave her an encouraging smile. "Right?"

"I agree." The group turned around to face Ushijima. He had just arrived at the gym a little later than usual. His voice was soft as he addressed Umeko. "I know you can do it."

Umeko felt her face heat up and her ears turn bright red. "T-thank you." Ever since she had accepted her feelings for Ushijima, Umeko seemed to become hyperaware of everything about him. As much as she tried, Umeko couldn't quiet the incessant daydreams.

- ----TWO DAYS LATER-----

The day of the volleyball tournament arrived far too quickly. Umeko wasn't able to take the bus since she wasn't part of the cheer squad or the band, and of course she couldn't ride with the team on their private bus. She was an honorary member, not an official member.

With this in mind Umeko decided she would walk to the venue instead. With the power of google maps she realized that it wasn't too far away by foot. Of course, it would still take much longer than if she were to take a vehicle, but it wasn't a bad day to walk outside.

------

A small boy sat in the back seat of a car and looked out the window. It felt like an eternity had passed but they were finally coming home after a long road trip. "Dad, are we there yet?" He huffed.

"Alex, we still have at least fifteen minutes left before we make it back home."

"But, Dad!" Alex pouted and crossed his arms. "That's ages!"

Alex's dad never took his eyes off the road as he let his wife converse with their son. "Honey, it's not that long. Besides, we'll be there before you know it!"

-----

Umeko hummed quietly as she walked slowly along the path. She still had a little while till the match started so there was no point in rushing. Never thought I'd be doing anything like this. Sakuma's the one who was invested in sports not me. Umeko was never really one to follow any kind of sports so now that she was actively making a choice to go watch a game it seemed so absurd. If anyone had told her that she would become friends with the volleyball team she probably would have looked at them like they were crazy. Even more so if they were to say that she would want to go watch their match.

------

The Shiratorizawa team strode inside the venue with a reigning confidence. It seemed that their very presence alone was able to elicit whispers and even stun some to silence. Whether they be good or bad -probably a mixture of both- the team paid no mind to them.

The sound of volleyball shoes squeaking on the court and chatter were drowned out by the sound of volleyballs being slammed into the ground. The Shiratorizawa third years shared one collective thought. This is the last time we will be playing in this court.

------

Alex grumbled as his mum tried to pacify him. "I want to be home already."

"I know, just hold on for a little longer ok?" Alex's dad yawned and rubbed his eyes, "We all want to be home already." He stopped at a red light and turned to his son. "We already have gifts for your birthday prepared there too."

Immediately Alex lit up. "Really?!" Although his birthday was technically tomorrow, they usually prepared the day before then held the celebration on the day. Sometimes if he was extra good, he was allowed to open one of his gifts the day before his birthday. "Will big sister be there too?"

"Yes" His dad chuckled then turned back to face the road. The light turned green and he began to drive forward once more.

"Like really, really?!"

His mother held back her own laughter. "Yes, really, really. She will meet us once we're at home." It always brought her joy to see her son smile. Her family was always her priority. I've been blessed with a loving husband and two beautiful children. She was especially glad that despite being years apart, her two children were as close as ever. There is nothing else I could ask for.

Alex practically vibrated on spot as he heard the news. Since his sister graduated college and moved out, they didn't see each other nearly as much as they used to, so he was definitely eager to get home. "Let's get there super-duper fast!" He chirped happily.

------

Umeko looked back on the memories when she first met the team. She remembered being scared of every single one of them. Nowadays she was much more sociable with not just the team but with other people in her class. She wasn't sure how she would be if Tendou didn't approach her.

Eventually her thoughts drifted to Ushijima. Despite spending a fair amount of time with Ushijima inside and outside of school she still wanted more. Umeko shook her head. "No. It's not good to be too greedy." She looked down to her phone then back up again. Finally, she could see the building she was supposed to go to.