Rest Day

Umeko grumbled as she examined the drawing she had just completed. Over the course of a week she had improved drastically. Umeko could now hold things without dropping them -which was already an exciting thing in itself- and she could also draw some simple items to a recognizable degree. Of course, some days were better than others, on the days that her hand would hurt Umeko could barely bring herself to hold anything, but on the days where her hands were numb, she was considerably better off.

"Ume, do you need to take a break?" Ushijima looked up from what he was doing at the sound of Umeko's distress. Since the pair entered the clubroom that morning, Umeko's determination seemed to be unwavering, though after a few hours it was clear that her willpower was not as high as she thought.

"Maybe just a little" She whimpered in defeat. Her hand had started hurting a couple hours into the day but Umeko attempted to continue despite the pain -which she had discovered was not a good idea no matter how motivated she was. "Maybe just a little walk or something."

Ushijima finished making his last crane and moved it into the unnamed cubby. "I recommend you get some sleep. You look tired." He stated in a matter-of-fact manner.

Truthfully Umeko couldn't really refute his statement, she wasn't sleeping as well or as long as before, and it was clearly starting to take a toll on her body. Between the occasional nightmares and restlessness, it was difficult. "But I don't wanna nap" she pouted. "Besides, sleep and I aren't friends anymore."

Ushijima sighed then smoothly hoisted her up in his arms, he didn't say anything as he held her tightly princess style and walked out of the room and through the campus.

"W-wait! Put me down." Umeko tried to squirm out of his arms but to no avail, they both knew who the stronger person was, and it definitely wasn't Umeko. "Where are you taking me?" She decided that instead of fighting it she would just accept her fate. The more noise she made the more likely other students who were outside would turn their attention on her.

"To your room so you can sleep."

Umeko covered her face with both hands in a poor attempt to hide her flustered appearance. "N-no you can't do that. That's not allowed. You can't go in. I-it's messy right now."

"You let Shirabu in."

"This and that are two very different things!" Umeko desperately tried to discourage him from the idea.

"I don't think so." Ushijima deadpanned without hesitation. His walking speed didn't falter as he neared the dorm building.

"You just can't"

"Why?" He challenged. Ushijima knew that if he just left her to her own devices Umeko probably wouldn't sleep and the whole purpose of bringing her back was so she could rest.

Umeko mumbled her answer feeling the heat in her cheeks rise even higher. "B-because Shirabu is a friend, and...and you are different from that." She wanted to hide in embarrassment, though her current predicament would not allow that. Umeko just hoped that somehow Ushijima would understand where she was getting at, there was no way she could let her crush just walk into her room!

Ushijima suddenly stopped. "I see." His face had a faint dusting of pink as he considered all the possible implications. He hoped it was the more positive version where she was just conscious of him and not the negative version where he didn't even classify as a friend. Though from her reaction alone it was a safe bet that it was the former. It'd be nice if she started to look at me in that way. There was a brief silence while he contemplated his next action. Not too long after, he turned around and began to walk to a new destination.

"Where are we going?" Umeko closed her eyes to the gentle swaying as he walked once, she had accepted her fate and relaxed in his arms.

"That's a secret." It didn't take too long before they reached their destination, but it was enough that Umeko had fallen asleep in Ushijima's arms. Ushijima smiled slightly as he looked down at the girl he cradled so preciously. As carefully as he could Ushijima lowered himself and managed to sit under a tree without waking Umeko from her slumber. She was protesting not long ago but she fell asleep so quickly.

It was a clear sky which allowed the sun to shine unobstructed. The rays of light that would have been considered too hot were left in small dapples through the leaves of the tree which kept both Ushijima and Umeko cool. Occasionally a small breeze would rustle through the leaves which almost sounded like a soothing melody by nature itself.

Ushijima relaxed a little and let Umeko's body rest on his lap but kept a firm hold on her, so she was half leaning her body on his chest. He kept as still as he could so he wouldn't disturb her rest. After how much she's worked, Umeko deserved a good nap for her efforts.

He felt bubbles burst erratically in his chest before he looked away from her sleeping figure. Ushijima -despite having the best intentions in mind- felt almost, just almost guilty, like what he was doing was completely incriminating and would lead to an incredible amount of misunderstandings. Even so, I am happy she trusts me enough to fall asleep like this.

Ushijima wasn't sure if Umeko knew of his feelings for her, though he would like to think that they were obvious enough that she would at least have an inkling of suspicion. But then again this was Umeko, she didn't look up for three years and even then, wasn't completely sure of his identity as the fourth member until Ushijima personally confirmed it for her. He wouldn't be surprised if Umeko was completely oblivious.

He sighed softly as his murmur was lost in the wind, "Ume, just what have you done to me?"

- ----A FEW HOURS LATER-----

Umeko stirred awake and rubbed her eyes. It had been a while since she had slept so peacefully. Umeko snuggled closer to the warmth surrounding her in an attempt to fall back asleep. Wait. It's warm around me!? But I'm outside! Umeko's blue eyes snapped open in shock, thankfully it didn't take very long till her panic subsided. The smell of peaches enveloped her, there was only one person she knew who smelt like them. It was Ushijima. Umeko was torn between hastily scrambling out of his arms or just staying where she was, she was partial to the latter. Of course, she was a considerate person who only wanted the best for him, so she stayed put. No ulterior motives like spending more time in his arms and lap. Nothing like that at all. I just don't want to wake him up!

Umeko looked up at Ushijima's sleeping figure, she knew Ushijima was very attractive, but she was still stunned now that she could see it up close. The gentle slope of his nose and his incredibly defined jawline were enough to make her swoon. What an incredibly proportioned person. Umeko smiled to herself holding back quiet laughter. Umeko reached out her hand and very slowly pulled a stray leaf out of Ushijima's dark olive locks. "Would it be bad of me to indulge like this?" Umeko murmured as she leaned back into Ushijima's chest and relaxed in his arms.

The quiet rustling of the leaves and the warm dappled sunlight seemed like such a surreal scene. If anyone were to see the pair, they would most definitely look like an overly sappy couple. Umeko let out a deep sigh, she could already feel the pounding in her chest that had over the past few days become almost unbearable. The cause was -predictably- her feelings for Ushijima, she had become almost too conscious of every move he made and latched on to every word he spoke. Simply put, Umeko was simping hard. "Maybe I'll tell you after the competition." Umeko gently poked Ushijima's cheek.

"Tell me what?"

"Y-you were awake!? How long have you been awake?" Umeko tried to keep her blush under control and stiffened up slightly from the sudden response.

Ushijima shifted slightly but continued to hold Umeko in his arms, he had no intention of letting go any time soon. "I've been awake since the start of that sentence." He responded in earnest, though he had no idea why Umeko would be so worried about it.

"I-I see. That's great. U-um." Umeko was at a loss for words, she was glad Ushijima wasn't able to put two and two together but somehow, she felt just the slightest bit of disappointment. "Thanks for letting me sleep." Umeko mumbled bashfully. Wait, did I drool? She quickly wiped her mouth to make sure there wasn't any dried saliva on her face, thankfully there was nothing. But what about snoring? I don't think I snore. Maybe? "U-um, by any chance...did I snore?"