Choose One

"Do you think Umeko is here yet?" Tendou tilted his head. While waiting for the match, the team opted to sit in the stands and wait for their turn to be called. As expected, the hall was filled with noise as people bustled about in front of them.

"I'm not sure. I don't see her." Goshiki looked around across all the stands, he squinted to see as far as possible. After a little while it was clear that there was no way he could see her. He could see the band, the cheer squad and a few other passersbys' but no Umeko.

"Only an idiot would think they have a chance at spotting her from this distance. Do you honestly believe you will see her in that crowd?" Shirabu raised an eyebrow and scoffed. "Not only is she small but she is also easily overlooked in a group that big." Shirabu gestured to the Shiratorizawa cheer squad.

Even Tendou had to agree to this statement. Before he became friends with Umeko he didn't even know that she was in his class. It wasn't just her height that made her hard to find, but it was also how she was able to make her presence almost vanish completely. If he was being honest, he didn't really remember what her class introduction was. He side glanced to his best friend. At this point the only person who might be able to spot her was Ushijima. Tendou liked to believe it was the power of love and fate. It could just be that Ushijima was the most observant and had the best eyesight, but that wouldn't be fun.

"Ume isn't there."

Goshiki turned to his captain with a shocked expression on his face. "How do you know?"

"I can find her anywhere and I know she isn't in the cheer section." Ushijima stated firmly. From when he first saw her, he had no difficulty spotting where she was in a crowd. Perhaps he was subconsciously searching for her at all times, but regardless, Umeko stood out to Ushijima so much so that he couldn't tear his eyes away.

Tendou took out his phone and dialed Umeko's number. He was curious if his best friend was right about her not being there. It didn't take long for her to answer.

"Hello?"

"Umeko! Are you inside already?"

Tendou heard Umeko huff playfully, even without seeing her he knew that she had a smile on her face. "Not yet. Soon though, I can see the building already. I probably won't have time to say hi before the game so could you tell everyone 'good luck' for me?" From the other side of the phone she heard Tendou relay her message to the group followed by a handful of thank yous'. "Anyway, I'll be there soon, and I'll talk to you back at school.

Tendou nodded despite Umeko not being able to see him "Mkayyyy, see you later then."

-------

Alex fidgeted in his seat. He wanted to make a request, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to wait till tomorrow.

"Alex, do you have something you want to ask? You've been fidgeting again." His mum smiled reassuringly.

"Um, can we get ice cream?"

"That sounds like a good idea!" Alex's dad burst out in agreement.

She sighed in defeat to her two boys. "Yes, yes alright. We can get some from the convenience store in the gas station."

Immediately Alex and his father perked up in excitement before they made a detour. "I'll wait by the car. You can go on and choose what you like." Without hesitation Alex and his mother hopped out of the vehicle and walked into the store.

Alex's dad huffed to hold back his smile. I must have done something right in my past life for me to have married the love of my life and have two adorable children with her. He got out of his car and began to pump gas as he was left with his thoughts.