Chapter Sixteen

(Kit's Pov)

Nat got up, followed by Kit. The others turned towards them curiously, although not bothering to fight against the glare Natasha gave them. She was just too powerful. Besides, they all knew better than to follow the only two females purposely leaving the room.

Nat escorted her upstairs, making sure no one was following. They arrived in the safety of her room just in time. Kit felt as her feline insides filled with that shallow need. Even though her human mind was filled with fear. Usually this feeling lasted days- how could she last days in the tower like this? Just hiding away in her room? No one would stand for it. And if they came in here while she was like this...

Apparently her terror shown through on Kit's features. Natasha turned to her, taking each of her arms in her hands. "Kit, calm down. It's okay. Breathe." She guided Kitten through the exercise, until she wasn't panicking anymore. At least not as much. "What's wrong?"

"Do not let any of them in. Please."

"Jarvis, Don't let anyone in but me." She recited, before sitting Kit on the bed. "There. You're safe, alright?"

Kit nodded, knowing there should be no reason to be feeling this way. And yet she still was. Why must she be half of one of the wildest things on this planet?

"Now can you tell me why the boys were so..." The words she wanted to say died out on her tongue, "Riled up?"

"It is my fault. Every few months, for a few days I go into 'heat', I call it." When Nat stayed silent, Kit pressed on. "It does that. And makes me feel..." Her face twisted like she had just bitten a lemon for the first time. Which is how she liked talking about the subject in the first place. "Weird."

"Because of the pheromones? Smells?" Nat corrected herself. Kit nodded. "Don't worry, Котя, I'll keep you safe until it's over."

"Thanks, Nat." Kit smiled to the best of her ability, before deciding to take a shower. Natasha of course took this time to make sure the boys were still alive, and bring up a few snacks.

*

(Natasha's Pov)

"What's going on?" The moment the elevator doors opened, their questions smacked her in the face. "What's wrong?"

"Something that guys will never understand." Natasha snapped, before grabbing a few items from the kitchen. When she returned in view with her hands full of chocolate, it seemed the boys finally grasped the situation. Why is it that they only ever understand these feminine concepts when chocolate is involved? "None of you are allowed near Kit's room until next weekend. Whoever does will not like where they end up." She glanced out the window, securing her threat. They would end up terrified and most likely injured.

"Yep. No questions here." Clint said, as the others quickly jumped to agree.

With a nod, she headed back upstairs.

*

(Loki's Pov)

After receiving his bracelet from Kit, too many things had happened for him to stay with the others. Between their teasing- and inevitable teasing- he couldn't bear another minute of it.

Not to say he wanted to leave. Or more specifically, leave Kit.

But any magical eye could see how she cast some form of a spell on the bracelet, making the gold shimmer on his alone. This intrigued him, as why would she go through extra trouble just for him? Why make sure his alone, in some sense, was better than the others'?

Anyone could see how she doted on him, even from the beginning. Yet Loki was starting to doubt his own feelings as well. Reevalue what exactly their status was. Friends? Of course. And yet...

Which is how he came to the conclusion that he must out-gift her. Or at least summon a gift that would surely fit both her feline and human qualities, and bring attention to exactly how marvelous she is.

And perhaps be her favorite gift, out of all the ones she's inevitably going to receive. One that she'll treasure, and show off to the others.

By the time he figured out exactly what to conjure, he was sure she was already asleep. This late at night most of the tower should be. Which left him to either wait or teleport the case to her nightstand, quickly choosing the latter. If he held onto the gift a moment longer, he might not have the courage to send it. Besides, midnight still counts as Valentine's day, right?

*

(Kit's Pov)

The following day Kit awoke feeling much, much worse than the day prior. It seemed her heat finally arrived in full. She groaned, deciding to simply turn over to keep sleeping. Even the mere notion of opening her eyes challenged her sanity. And to think she'd have to get up-

No.

Despite her groaning and annoyance at waking, her mind still decided that staying in bed was no longer on the agenda. It had been checked off her to-do list, the next item being to get out of bed.

And in normal circumstances, she wouldn't have hesitated.

But right now, to even attampt movement...

"Kit?" Natasha called from the door, as Kit's eyes snapped open. Her bed reeked of her own scent, which has been overproducing since late last night. "Are you alright?"

"I really do not like heats." She groaned, flipping to cover her head with a pillow.

"Alright, well I'm leaving some food outside your door when you're hungry. It's pancakes."

Pancakes. Definitely one of the best foods ever invented. If the thought of eating didn't upset her so much, Kitten would have been ecstatic. "Thank you Nat."

Kit heard Natasha leave, as the silence crept inward. It was not particularly cruel silence, but rather relaxing. Nothing bothering her, no worries or things to do until this blowed over. As Natasha explained to her the night before, she would make sure no one bothered her. With things like missions, chores and what not.

Kit sighed. This was boring. No activity appealed to her, and yet doing nothing would surely drive her mad. And who liked a mad cat?

So she sat up, launching the pillow to the other side of her bed. Her eyes adjusted to the lingering darkness of the room. Everything is still as it was the night before. Chocolate wrappers in the trash bin, blankets draped half-used across the couch, even the marks on the calendar when Natasha had showed her how to keep track of these 'female' things.

One thing she did notice through the change, however, was a small box laid out on her nightstand. Short, and somewhat thin, although a bit longer than the length of her palm. Gold swirls and designs engraved the case's fine black cover, shimmering and reflecting what she could only guess was magic. For there was no light in the room.

Loki must've placed this here. It was the only solution that presented itself, and one Kit found herself fawning over. Like she had made sure his Valentine's gift was perfect, it seems he's done just that as well.

Kit lifted the box from the stand, moving to set it on her lap. What could it be? Obviously not something too large, although the case's size definitely indicated something larger than just a ring or pair of earrings.

She snapped the case open, finding a light golden band laid across the velvet cushion beneath it. Green jewels decorated one side of it, spaced perfectly to be noticed but not overwhelming.

It was perfect.

She could barely hold back the biggest grin from spreading across her face, as she picked the necklace up from its case. It was cold to the touch, a chain connecting the two sides. It even looked adjustable, meaning she could wear the accessory in all her forms.

Really, really perfect.

And she couldn't wait to thank him, the moment her heat passed.