Chapter Fifty-Four

(Kit's Pov)

Loki was silent for a very, very long time. Much too long for this to be good news, but at the same time it didn't sound like bad news. Like Thor said, a miscommunication. And how bad could one lousy miscommunication be?

Kit wrapped her hand in Loki's, bringing him back to the task at hand. "What's a betrothal?" She needed to know what the realm assumed she and their prince were to each other. They were much more than friends now and she would even say they were a committed couple, but the only other status she could think of was marriage.

She wasn't ready for that.

Loki glared at his brother, assuming this was his intentional purpose. "It means that Asgard is under the impression we are engaged."

Oh.

"Is that all?" Kit could deal with being engaged. Or even a fake engagement. It wasn't the end of the world. Everyone would still expect them to act like a couple rather than some official binding, which is how they acted now. Nothing would change.

Loki glanced down, surprised by her response. "You're okay with this?"

"It's not the end of the world if they think we're engaged." She stood up on her toes to kiss his cheek, "Besides, Thor said they assume we've come to announce it. Who's to say we don't want to wait some more time?"

"You're almost as mischievous as I am, Kitten." Loki smirked, his brother relieved that the situation could be diffused so easily. "Well then, let's go enjoy our inevitable congratulations." He held out his hand, leading Kit to the beautiful equestrian at his side. But when she started to slow at the idea of actually having to ride her, Loki pressed her hand against the horse. "You won't fall, I promise you. I'm protecting you, aren't I?"

Kit smiled, taking a breath to quiet her doubts. "You are."

Loki helped her step up, guiding her to sit close to the front of the saddle. Quickly hopping up with ten times more grace than she had performed with. His arms reached around her to collect the reins, and they started off for the palace.

*

"Thor, Loki!" voices boomed as they arrived, a squad of warriors waiting by the palace steps. "Asgard has missed its princes."

"Volstagg, nice to see you've treated yourself to the kitchens again." Thor laughed, leaping off his horse to greet his friends. Kit supposed these must be Sif and the Warriors three.

"I have not!" He huffed, yet accepting the familiar banter with the thunderer. Seems this is where the brothers learned to quarrel. Loki dismounted from his mare, reaching up to help Kit down as well. "Loki, this must be your bride-to-be." The warriors glanced over the magicians, instantly approving the couple.

"I'm Kit, nice to meet you." She almost curtsied, but Loki snuck his arm under hers to keep her upright. Apparently this wasn't one of the times to do so. It was difficult to keep the mannerisms straight.

Although she first thought nothing of the touch, it seemed this was in part to be a way for Loki to show his claim of the Kitten. "Love, this is Hogun, Fandral, Volstagg, and Lady Sif."

"At your service." Their fists clasped against the armor over their hearts, before starting to catch up with the princes. Not at all hiding the fact that they just knew Loki had finally found someone that could tame him. To which he huffed and rolled his eyes indefinitely, wondering who would possibly have dared to start this rumor. Thor had denied the accusation a thousand times already, but with no other suitable source, the couple wondered who would even want to meddle like this.

Lady Sif and the Warriors three led them through the castle, as Kit was given a proper tour of where she would find herself on most days during their stay. Later on they would show her where she would be staying, but for now, the tour pushed onward to end in one of the common rooms, a means to meet the King and Queen in a less than strictly formal way.

"Ah, my sons. You've returned." A warm voice called out, motherly in her tone and with a hint of mischievousness. "How is the mortal realm?"

"Busy as always, Mother." Thor chuckled, as the princes greeted Frigga. The warriors had left for other matters now, leaving the Kitten to introduce herself. Or so was the plan... "And you must be the darling Kit."

"Yes, your majesty." Kit curtsied this time around, for all the two seconds before Frigga lifted her up by the hands.

She smiled, "Please, call me Frigga." The Queen then turned to Loki, "How is it that you've managed to charm such a lovely lady?"

"Mother..." Loki sighed, well used to such antics.

But this time, Kit was the one able to smirk with a touch of mischievousness lit behind her eyes. "He has been so kind to me, his charm was just an extra reason to love him." She glanced at her prince, finding a purple tint to his cheeks. But his eyes glowed with appreciation from her comment.

Frigga, however, seemed surprised by her sweetness. As she glanced with wary excitement between the couple, "Don't tell me you really are betrothed?"

Loki and Thor shared a look. If all of Asgard thought so... there was only one source that couldn't be denied. "Mother, you didn't."

"It was just a bit of fun." She smirked, heading for the tea tray. Motioning for everyone to sit around the couches, which they did so without a second thought. "No harm done."

"It was quite the surprise." Loki sighed, accepting that his mother would always meddle. It wasn't forceful, and always with good intentions. "But why spread rumors? Aren't there enough of those whispered about this castle?"

Frigga smiled, after serving tea to her sons and guest. Why would she tell her realm that they were engaged? What could that possibly achieve? "Well, I had to give them some reason of your dearest's arrival, didn't I? And besides, a happy rumor is much better than a scandalous one."

That was true. The realm would question their affections if the couple hadn't been announced. This way, maybe they could catch a break from all the endless questions.

But not at tea, it seemed. As Frigga asked about everything from how they met to the Kitten's magic. Complimenting her skills of shapeshifting. Inevitably Kit and the princes managed to ask some questions of their own, learning that they were requested to attend the banquet tonight. And as for Kit's heritage... Frigga had found information about her past. But that would have to wait for another day. They will ride to the site later in the week, but for now, the Kitten needn't worry over it. 

After tea, the Queen encouraged the travelers to get some rest before dinner. Keeping Loki for just an extra second to whisper something in his ear, a comment that made him smile and kiss her cheek.