Chapter Forty-Eight

(A/N: I am tired as all heck but here we go anyways. Check my profile announcements for my schedule on updating! Sorry if there are typos or weird grammar in this chapter, I had trouble editting. Thanks for reading!)

(Kit's Pov)

Alhough her heat had started strong and without warning, it left in the same manner. What was one day of inability to get out of bed became the next day full of renewed energy. Well... half a day. After one wakes past noon, she might not be able to claim a full day anymore. But her mind was free of sickly scents that made her body itch, and Kit could relax.

After a quick shower and finding a fresh change of clothes, Kit exited her room ready to face the evening, the team, and whatever else might be thrown her way. Namely Loki and the aftermath of what happened... a topic she chose to face when it arose. Until then she quieted the doubts, eager to see him after the days stuck in her room. She knocked on his door, "Loki?"

Kit heard a bit of a scuffle, until Loki opened the door. A bouquet of flowers featured in his left hand. "Hello, Kitten."

"Oh! Thank you." She laughed as he handed them to her, a bit of a magical sense surrounding them. Kit could only suspect as much from her oh-so-magical prince. "What's the occasion?"

"I want to apologize for my unseemly actions the other night." Loki said, as Kit peeked up from her gift. The flowers didn't look like any breed of Earth, but they smelled amazing. And she had buried her nose in them. "I'm sorry."

Kit looked up, flashing the most reassuring smile she could. It wasn't his fault he acted that way. She was the one in heat, and she was the one who had kissed him first. "I hope not too sorry."

Loki lifted an eyebrow, his solemn expression replaced with a mischievous one. Before he opened the door a touch wider: a silent invitation.

"We can talk later, Loki." Kit said, sneaking a chaste kiss. After holing up in her room for so long, she needed to prove to the others she was okay. "But right now, I need breakfast."

Loki laughed, stepping through to join the Kitten on her trip downstairs. "It's 3 in the afternoon, darling."

"Isn't breakfast the first meal of the day?" Kit smiled, "I haven't eaten anything yet. That makes this breakfast."

He huffed at her logic, but found no counterargument. Kit set the flowers in her room for the moment, before linking her arm in Loki's. As they ventured to face the team, and find a suitable afternoon breakfast.

*

"Little Котя! How are you feeling?" Natasha said the moment Kit arrived. Her ears perked up when Kit saw all of the Avengers waiting around the room, a truly rare occasion. Almost a suspicious one, but she chalked up their appearance as simply concern. As was expected after such an incident at the party, and then her heat.

The Kitten smiled up at each of them, dishing out hugs and cheek kisses to those who appreciated them. "I'm feeling much better!"

"Glad to hear it." Clint smiled, ruffling her hair briefly. "I have pancakes ready when you are!"

Pancakes?

Kit glanced back at Loki, 'I told you so' gleaming from her eyes. Breakfast is considered the first meal of the day, not exclusive to any time zones. He chuckled, kissing her forehead to show his appreciation. "That sounds delicious!"

While Clint started heating a pan to cook the pre-stirred batter, the Avengers filled her in about anything she asked. Whether it was about the party, her attackers, or even if Peter escaped alright. Yet even though they answered, it felt as if her friends were holding back something. But she had no clue as to what, and they weren't asking.

Breakfast was consumed, Bruce even pitching in to make a few sides. Breakfast for dinner, as Tony said.

The day passed, and before long things started to get back to normal. Natasha took up training the kitten once more, explaining different techniques to help her calm down in a stressful situation. When they weren't doting on one another, Loki started to teach Kit about the basics of magic. A stool at the kitchen bar was adopted as the 'watching stool' in her name, as Kit learned more and more ways to actually make a meal. And as she learned more, Kit started to differentiate between what characteristics in her life had been given to her, and what was the kitten's honest preference. What kind of life she wanted to live in the world.

Days passed, and the conversation between her and Loki was postponed time after time. She liked the idea of more. But Kit didn't know the first thing about it. Like with so many things in her relationship, really. She didn't know how to kiss, how to flirt, or what any of this should look like. Even now, a couple of months after her confession, she still didn't really know.

But Loki did. With every action, every kiss, every passing comment that made her smile brighter than she ever has. He's done all of this before. He knew the best ways to unravel her, and guided her to his own. Whatever steps they would be taking next, she would be in an unknown world.

And maybe that's okay.

A few weeks after the party, her heat, and the following breakfast, Kit watched as these thoughts ran away with her mind. She didn't know. And that was okay. She trusted Loki to help and support her when her own knowledge failed.

But she couldn't keep this up. Constantly ducking the conversation would be of no help to anyone. As the Avengers proved time and time again, having secret conversations and whispers uttered when they thought she wasn't near. The more time that passed, the more stressed they seemed. Almost as if they were waiting for her to snap.

Why? She hasn't done anything.

Kit wondered late into the evening, reviewing what could possibly be the matter. With every snippet she heard it fueled her theory that somehow this was related to the intruders at the party. But according to the Avengers, they were captured and sentenced to life in prison. After what information could be discovered about the Hydra agents, anyway.

So how did she play into this?