Chapter Fifty

(A/N: I lied last chapter. It doesn't happen here. Instead there's tears and angst and cuddles. Enjoy! Thanks for reading!)

(Kit's Pov)

After last night's long talk about... everything, Kit and Loki parted ways for the rest of the night. The excitement for tomorrow's activities trying everything in its power to keep sleep at bay. But she persevered, finding Loki in the morning. They spent the day in each other's company, wandering about the tower to cause what occasional mischief they found.

And when the time came to get ready, they parted ways again. Loki had swiped Tony's magic money plastic card sometime during their adventures, planning to treat the new members to a proper formal date. Somehow Kit managed to finish getting ready before he did, and went looking for the prince when he didn't show.

A fancy date had been the plan. Of course, when did their plans ever go smoothly?

"I see you received my request." A voice fizzed over the TV from the adjacent room, as Kit entered the Avengers common area. "And brought a friend." By the way this voice spat the words, Kit assumed it was some fictitious villain. One of the bad guys in the shows the others watched. From the TV, one can only assume.

"He's here to help." A second voice arose, eerily familiar. Too familiar. It almost sounded like she did. "I want him to stay."

Since when did the Avengers have a video of her? Kit couldn't remember a time when she's ever said such words, yet this woman sounded just like her. Kit started toward the sound hesitantly, peeking into the living room. Finding the backsides of the team toward her as they crowded around a monitor. "Very well. I am surprised that you recovered so quickly." What was going on?

"Sit."

The single word struck a different tune from her memories, one that recognised his voice. But it couldn't be. It's been too long.

He couldn't have found her. Not now. Not when everything had been going so well.

When the silence stretched onward, a crash from chains meeting a table made her jump. "Sit down, K-17."

No.

No, no, no, no, no. Not now. Not here. Not in the Avenger's tower where she was supposed to be safe. Kit finally reached a point she could better view the situation, freezing as her eyes met the screen. As her eyes met the cold, senseless ones of that... Inconsiderate mortal was too weak of an insult for him. He deserved to rot into nothing more than a pile of bones.

"No." Her voice chimed back, as 'Kit' in this film crossed her arms. But it wasn't Kit. She wouldn't have done that. Even now, months after Hydra, she wouldn't dare. Nor just watching on a screen from across the room, when she knew they couldn't see her. Not really. Yet Kit could feel the presence of fear whisper otherwise. "You nor Hydra control me anymore. I want to know who you are, and what you want with me!" Why would she ever say that?

He laughed that maniacal chuckle that chilled her soul. As Kit found her feet glued to the ground. He wasn't just any run of the mill scientist. Not just some Hydra agent to be cast aside when their purpose was fulfilled. "You must be the boyfriend. I must congratulate you for taming such a wild spirit, really." It was the one who was in charge of her care. Experiments, tests, the training, the torture. When he gained any sort of advantage, there would be no getting back the upper hand. It was all a game to him. Her pain, his gain.

This sack of rotting meat leaned back, and Kit looked back to herself. Yet, it wasn't her. The boyfriend?

Loki?