Chapter Forty

(A/N: Dear English, you are the worst. Why is it Forty instead of Four-ty? I'm not for you I just want the number! Anyway- kind of short, but thanks for reading!)

(Avengers' Pov)

"Cookies? You got that dirty from cookies?" Steve laughed late that afternoon, as the Avengers sat around the living room enjoying Kit's baked goods. Well- Kit, Loki, and Natasha's baked goods. Since apparently, shapeshifters couldn't bake if their lives depended on it. "You know what? I don't think I want to know."

"But these do taste good. Not bad for your first time." Bruce complimented, eating them up as if the Hulk was in control.

Kit beamed. "Thank you." She nibbled on her own cookie, spending time with her newfound family. After having become so covered in baking substances, both Kitten and Jotun had left to clean themselves up. Loki moreso, still covered in flour despite Kit's best efforts.

The plan was to wait for the prince to reappear before starting another game night. At both the insistence of Thor, and the unrivaled happiness of Kit. It was strange how she had taken such a liking to the prince, and a few Avengers even started taking bets on the reason. No theory dared touch upon a deeply romantic- or dare say, sexual- relationship, but the light fun was welcomed within team ranks.

After the magicians' work to create some form of dessert, the Avengers worked to clean up the kitchen, before preparing dinner. After such a mission as the one the team returned from, all anyone wanted to do was relax and have a quiet night.

Although unfortunately, not everyone seemed to have that idea.

"I disagree, Capsicle. Kit, please do share how you and Reindeer Games managed to gunk up my kitchen so much." Tony piped up, apparently cookies not enough of a bribe to drop the subject.

Kit smiled, finishing her bite before responding. "We had a battle." She gave no further explanation, flashing an innocent look toward the team. With a smile just as wide as her lie. Not that the Avengers realised this, the Kitten viewed with too much innocence for such things to even be considered possible.

The team laughed. "Uh-huh. And who won?" Clint took another bite, crumbs falling onto the couch. If anything, Kit was the least messy member here. If the times counted were from all the times things spilled, anyway.

Just before Kit could respond, a voice piped up from behind her. "I did."

"Loki!" Kit jumped, looking up suddenly at the mischief prince. He had appeared behind her from midair, looking down fondly when she shouted in surprise.

Almost... too fondly. Sometimes it seemed the children flirted- although that was impossible. Surely. They were just friends- both of them insisted upon it.

"I don't remember it happening that way." Kit laughed, moving to the side so her prince could sit beside her. That is one thing the Avengers knew; Kit had Loki wrapped around her little kitten finger. "I am fairly sure I won."

"Then where is your prize?" He taunted, wrapping an arm around her when she cuddled close. Loki was never this openly affectionate... Which either meant something was wrong, or-

Or something terrible was planned.

"I do not need one." She snuck a kiss on his cheek, appearing satisfied with the conversation as her attention was turned to the game Stark began to set up.

"Ah, but I never collected my prize." Loki stated, standing so he may hold out a hand to Kit. She giggled at his antics, accepting the offer. Only encouraging his mischievous ways. The Avengers watched on, cautious as to where the dark prince's trouble might lead.

In one fluid motion Loki spun Kit around to be flush against his chest, facing the others' surprised faces. Her ears brushed his cheeks as he kissed the top of her head. "I am taking the Kitten hostage! Don't come after us."

Kit moved her head to look up at Loki, not bothering to escape even when his arms encompassed her body. "What?"

Within seconds of her question, the moment ended, and the duo disappeared in a cloud of green mist.

"What the fuck?"

*

(Kit's Pov)

"I am taking the Kitten hostage! Don't come after us."

"What?" What did he mean, taking the Kitten hostage? Kit was the kitten. Why would Loki-

But mere seconds after her question, the Avengers tower faded away to green mist and a void. Up was down, left was right; the only thing feeling even remotely safe or stable being the one holding her close.

The portal closed, and soon Kit found her feet on solid ground again. "You can open your eyes, Love." Loki whispered, releasing her from his grasp. "I apologize for the rash exit, but I thought the team might ask less questions this way."

Kit peeked her eyes open, glancing around. It was an empty field, spare a picnic blanket and basket. Golden rays of the afternoon sun shimmered through the breeze, sprinkling the ground with the warm light. "It's beautiful, Loki." She smiled, glancing up at her boyfriend. "Are you sure the team knows you did not really kidnap me?"

Loki laughed, linking his arm with her own. "Well, I am technically your only way back. And the team does not know where we are." He rested his chin between her ears, sending a smile her way when Kit glanced up. "But we won't be missing long. They won't worry."

"That's good." She smirked, pecking his cheek. "So, what do you have planned for our date?"

(A/N: MiScHiEf!!! >:D)

(Sorry... it's late, I'm tired, and... yeah. Give me a few days for the next chapter. Thanks for reading!)