Chapter Eighteen

(A/N: Not super edited, but a sweet -cliffhanger- chapter. Thank you all for the 11k reads!!!!! And thanks for reading!)

(Kit's Pov)

The days passed, and soon her heat ended. Just in time too, as chilled winds frosted the New York landscape. The team was called on more and more missions lately, rarely anyone at the tower at the same time. Luckily Natasha managed to stay through Kit's last days of heat, until she could be back to normal.

Of course after the sure threat from Nat, Loki hadn't stopped by her room since. Not until she voluntarily ventured to the common floors, reintroducing herself to the team. And assuring the boys she was truly fine.

This morning, a few normal days after her appearance, Fury called most of the team out on a mission. With lots of complaints and grumbling later, Kit found herself waking up alone in the tower.

"Jarvis?" Kit called, when still no one appeared for breakfast. By now Kit had learned how to make a few things on her own, cereal, toast with jam, and poptarts on that list. Of course with a glass of warm milk as well. Clint had forbidden her from using the stove to any degree, especially not without supervision.

"Yes, miss?"

"Where is everyone?"

A sip of milk later, he replied. "The team is on a mission. Are you in need of assistance, Kit?"

"No, no." She assured him, "But will you tell me when they return?"

"Of course."

With that matter settled, she turned her attention back to her milk. Afterwards perhaps some wandering about in cat form would be fun- at least more so than doing nothing. Usually Jarvis taught her about some new topics, vocabulary or even culture nowadays. Sometimes he would choose a movie that would teach her things he couldn't quite explain, like dancing or deciding preferences. There had even been a few slightly romantic scenes, a small subplot that may or may not have spiked the Kitten's interest.

Although today, none of those things seemed to entice her. Instead, she changed to her cat form, planning on lounging about the tower without a care in the world.

It wasn't long later until Kit started to notice something strange. Something... beautiful, yet strange. Little white specks falling from the sky, gently like leaves from a tree. Hundreds, if not thousands of these small stars, fluttering right outside the window.

She raced to the glass to stare out at this wonderful phenomenon. It couldn't be any normal sort of thing, like dust or the weather, it was far too big and far too slow. At the moment, at least.

"Ah, there you are Kitten." A voice started her, causing her to flip her head around to see who it was.

"Meow~" Kit called, jumping up and racing towards Loki. He laughed as he caught her in his arms, petting her favorite spot between her ears.

"Never seen snow before?" He stood near the glass with her in his arms, looking out into the sea of skyscrapers as well. She placed a small paw against the window, glancing back at Loki briefly. Communicating her wish to see these magical floofs up close.

Despite a sigh of hesitation, perhaps some slight reluctance, he agreed. "Alright Kit, you win." before starting his way towards the elevator.

The moment the door opened to the roof, Kit lept from Loki's arms to land beside him. Changing quickly to her human form, to be able to ask as many questions as she'd like. What is all this white stuff? Where were they? Why is it so cold? Is it edible?

The moment she was no longer covered in thick fur however, even the still air cut her skin like glass. "Ah! Cold!" Kitten shouted, summoning the warmest thing her frost-bitten brain could come up with. Now with a fighting chance in the cold, she looked back to Loki. Unaware exactly what she had conjured.

So when Loki couldn't drop his appraising look, Kit looked down to find she was clad in Loki's hoodie. The thought never occurred to her which piece of clothing to summon, rather just the warmest, comfiest thing. Once she realised it might be a problem, she double guessed her magic.

"I can put it back-" She started to offer, if Loki truly did not want her to wear his clothes. But the concept of being in the snow without something so protective seemed practically asking for trouble.

"No, no, Kitten. It's fine. You look adorable." Ever since Kit began asking for Loki's opinions on clothing, cooking, movies... everything really- it seemed he grew a habit of simply complimenting her. About anything remotely new.

Which Kit adopted as well, both of them denying any feelings that tried to become attached to such friendly manners.

Because it was simply friendly, right?

*

(Loki's Pov)

"Thank you, Loki." She replied to his complement, before turning her attention to the snow before her. Loki simply watched as Kit studied the white stuff, cursing himself for smiling so easily. She was simply happy. Curious. With her adorable laugh and cat-ears...

And his sweater.

Why did such a simple notion ignite such an embarrassing feeling in his chest? Anything besides simple friendship?

Kit reached out to touch the snow, a smile spreading across her face instantly when it simply sunk into the freshly laid ice.

Ice. Cold, hard- something that he would never consider being a part of in front of someone. Especially not in front of Kit. Definitely not in front of Kit. She would think him a monster, something hideous meant to be locked away forever. Nevermind any 'what-if' feelings, she would hate him.

"Loki! Is all snow this soft?" Kit's excited shout pulled Loki from his thoughts, as he could see her holding a handful of just that in her hands. With the little flakes falling and landing around her, sticking lightly in her hair and on her clothes. His clothes.

"This is fresh snow. Unless it becomes packed together, yes." He replied. She instantly tried this, making a lop-sided snowball of sorts. "You should try snow angels."

"Snow angel?" Her ears perked up, her eyes looking up at him curiously.

"You move the snow with your body to make it look like an angel." Of course during his explanation, Loki forgot to consider she had never seen such a thing. Kit started to move snow with her hands, forming more of a valley in the snow than a person-like shadow. "No, no, Kit."

"What am I doing wrong?" She glanced between him and the angel, obviously confused on how it was supposed to look.

"You lie down, and move your arms and legs." Loki tried to clarify, only to result in the same failed attempt.

"Show me." Kit's eyes met his, disappointed she couldn't learn this. He wished he could show her.

But his heritage shouldn't be revealed. Not if he could help it. And still, she wanted to succeed at this- surely a quick example wouldn't cause him to change forms. Not enough to notice, at least.

Hopefully.

"Alright, Kitten." He sighed, flopping backwards into the snow. Kit laughed at his antics, the sleeves of his jacket passing her hands as she covered her mouth in joy. Loki spread out his limbs, moving them in wide arcs through the snow. "Like this."

She flopped back as well, doing the same thing. And laughing when some snow fell onto her face. Loki laughed in unison, enjoying the snippets of this healthy mischief.

"Alright, now you sit up, and try not to touch the 'wings' of the angel too much." He explained. Kit did just that, before joining him standing up. "Good job."

"They look so amazing!" She shouted, clapping her hands together in joy. Her figure even had small cat-ear imprints around her head, left by the ones now perked up facing him.

"They are." Loki smiled, as a breeze picked up from somewhere sending a chill down his spine. Kit too, apparently.

Kit glanced back at him about to say something, when something caught her eye. And her face dropped in shock.

"Loki! You're blue!"

Oh no.