Chapter Forty-Seven

(Loki's Pov)

"Brother, thank you for joining us." Thor said as Loki entered the room. The other Avengers stood beside him, all varying degrees of exhaustion. Tony the least of all, most likely because he always appeared to be surviving purely off of caffeine. "How is she?"

"Safe." Loki supplied, thinking of how tired Kit had been. She survived what could have been a very bad situation, of course she was tired. Let alone her heat and... the kisses. Loki was torn about the matter, knowing such a desperate feeling came from a magical influence. Kit was just as much affected as he had been. But more? He liked the idea, but he didn't want anything to be forced between them. It should happen of its own accord.

He had acted like such a-

"She's in her room. Natasha said you've captured one of them?" Even though the warrior woman hadn't exactly said such a thing, Loki was smart enough to derive her meaning.

They looked amongst each other, a silent vote for Tony to break the news. "We did. Except the bastard won't speak to anyone but 'his little experiment'." His little- Kit.

Damn it. Damn Hydra and their need to manipulate. "She's not going anywhere near him."

"I agree." The Captain stepped forward, the monitors revealed behind him. A man sat cuffed in an interrogation room, looking quite smug with himself. "But he hasn't said anything else since. Which is why we came up with a little idea."

The others looked to Loki, fully expecting him to agree blindly. And normally he wouldn't, but this was about Kit. Her safety. If there was one thing he and the Avengers agreed on, it was that she stays safe. "Just a little one?" Loki smirked, sighing when they didn't give in. "What is it?"

"You can shapeshift, right?"

*

Which is how Loki found himself walking into the Hydra scientist's cell, the Avengers watching from various monitors. Thor walked beside him, now a tower over Loki's small form. Well... Kit's form, technically. As much as he hated acting in her name.

The Avengers' wonderful and foolproof plan was to send Loki in under the disguise of Kit. Because maybe then their prisoner would talk. Or in the very least, might give away some tidbit of information as to how they created the scents. The Avengers had searched the entire party and all the guests through the night, finding few who actually knew anything about how Hydra infiltrated the gathering.

Loki stopped outside the door, gathering his wits. Act like Kit would. He's the big bad scary enemy, or somehow related to them. Act innocent, and somewhat feline.

No problem.

The trickster readied himself, signaling to Thor for them to enter. It would be more realistic if there was another Avenger sent with the Kitten, rather than her alone. And on the off chance this was some kind of trap, despite the group being in the middle of the Avengers Tower in a cell quite impossible to break out of, the thunderer could help.

Thor pushed open the door, following the fake Kit in front of him. Loki had made sure his illusion couldn't possibly be seen through, nor broken involuntarily from any emotions that tried to fight out. This scientist knew of Kit's torture in Hydra. He was responsible for her suffering. Loki wanted him dead.

But death and pain would have to wait until questions were answered.

"I see you received my request." A voice charmed, almost in a pleasant manner. Polite, even. Hiding a venom that completely bypassed Thor, boring into Loki when their eyes met. "And brought a friend."

"He's here to help." Loki used an illusion over his voice, changing the tones to how he remembered Kit spoke. She spoke differently to everyone, and he hoped the hatred in his voice covered the love he remembered when she talked to the prince. "I want him to stay."

"Very well. I am surprised that you recovered so quickly." The scientist paused, folding his hands on the table in front of him. "Sit."

Would Kit listen? Loki tried to guess her reaction, apparently taking too long for the bastard's liking.

"Sit down, K-17." He snapped, drawing a growl from Thor. It may not be Kit interrogating him... Well, it seemed now that the Hydra agent had taken control of the conversation. But the brothers, and most likely the Avengers yonder as well, hated that he even dare talk down to her as if she were still in the hellhole of Hydra.

"No." Loki crossed his arms, frustrated how far this questioning has been skewed already. "You nor Hydra control me anymore. I want to know who you are, and what you want with me!" He slammed the table, surprising the prisoner. At best, that is. A touch of surprise from Loki's outburst, until amusement settled in. 

And he laughed.

This agent of evil laughed in the most controlling way possible. As if Loki's outburst meant nothing to him. As if he wasn't now chained to a table, facing two very angry Avengers. "You must be the boyfriend. I've heard of your abilities, although I must admit I never thought they would be so... convincing. And I congratulate you for taming such a wild spirit, really." He leaned back in his chair, anger poisoning his words. Loki wondered how he would even guess such a thing. "But you have no idea what you're getting into, Mister Laufeyson. You think K-17 is some... innocent girl? She's a beast. She shouldn't be able to feel, or love, or do anything but destroy in her wake. I believe you've even seen that first hand, haven't you Avengers?" He spoke the last sentence into the camera, chuckling to himself. "K-17 already knows who I am. Ask her and see her violence for yourself."

Loki ground his teeth, wanting to slap this monster across the face. Beast? Who was he to call her these things? She has done nothing but love and be kind to those who actually treat her well. Before he could do such a thing as tear this mortal limb from limb, Thor placed a hand on his shoulder. A quiet reminder to behave, even if Hydra deserved it. Loki misstepping would be of greater consequence than defending Kit from the lies of the past.

"I suppose you want to kill me, don't you?" He laughed as Loki fought to contain himself, letting down Kit's exterior. His battle armor shining into place instead, a much more suitable threat. "Go ahead. Then I really won't speak."

Loki spewed threat after threat at the scientist, never gaining a reaction. But with the Avengers watching, it was all he could do. They might hate the one who had threatened their friend, but they frowned upon torturing for information. Yes, Kit was a part of the team. But killing for a team member was not a good enough excuse.

Loki wanted to kill for his love. That this monster even dared to think to harm her. The prince wanted to make an example out of Hydra. But he didn't. Going through with such an action would spell doom for his station on any realm, and destruction for the couple.

So he left with Thor, swearing to himself that madman wouldn't see the light of day again.

(A/N: I know this is a bit of a cliffhanger but I really need a break from updating.[I've been updating my other works 3x a week for the past two months or so, in case you want to argue I only put up two chapters.] But I plan to come back with the rest of the book of Instincts! I have about 10 more chapters planned, give or take. I should be no later than the 8th of May[2023], so keep an eye out! Thank you for all the love, and thanks for reading!)