Chapter Forty-Five

(Warning: Very lovey scene (make out, but no smut). There are no indications, as it is the point of this chapter. Thanks for reading!)

(Kit's Pov)

The tower materialized around them, the change of temperature shocking her the most. Outside the party had been relatively warm from the summer night air, but now it was chilly and it shocked her reasoning mind back into reality. At least for the moment, as the cloud of fear parted. 

The tower was safe. Loki was safe. They were away from anyone to question, tease, threaten, or otherwise harm them.

"I'm sorry." They were the only words that came to her mouth, to explain how she felt about the evening. When Kit reviewed the events, it was her fault for the scents bothering her. It was because of her stupid feline half that her heat started, and it was because of her stupidly hopeful trusting self that led her to that horrible entanglement.

But Loki took her hands, rubbing the backs with his thumbs. "No, no Kit. Do not be sorry. None of this is your fault." He smirked, as her prince tried to return a smile to her face. "I should have been there to protect you. I am the one that's-"

"If it is not my fault, it is definitely not yours." Kit interrupted, jutting out her bottom lip to playfully pout. But in her explanation, she missed Loki's glance toward it.

But he blinked away, moving his eyes to wander around the room. When they returned to her once more, he had found a new question to ask. "What happened, love? The Parker boy could only inform me of so much." He tried to laugh, but that only amplified the sudden wave that hit the Kitten. Love. For some reason, when that word dripped from Loki's lips it fluttered straight for her heart.

"It was the scents..." Kit tried to focus, owing him an explanation before she holed up in her room. She knew this was her heat's fault. And equally so, it was her heat's fault that encouraged her to stay with Loki. "Peter was the first, but everyone was covered in something nasty. I had to get away." Kit trailed off, noticing how they were now sitting on the couch. Seems Loki had guided her to sit during this explanation. "I felt sick, Loki. Then he showed up..." Her words became caught up as she met his eyes, embarrassment taking over her features. Why would she ever think for a second that it could have been Loki sneaking up behind her? Their builds were nothing alike, the sound of their footsteps, the material of their clothes, let alone the natural aroma of Loki that made him stand apart. At times it was a quiet and welcoming winter, while other times she found comfort in the homey side of him. Teas, old books, endless cuddles.

Kisses.

Kit tried to control her thoughts, continuing her explanation. "He was behind me and I couldn't escape. I tried to fight and get away but..." Kit choked on a sob, as emotions swung at her left and right. She fought, yes, but she had been so afraid to do so. The Avengers say that standing up for oneself is a must, but when he had her by the wrists... she couldn't move, she could barely breathe, and if she had done nothing, there was little chance she would ever see the tower again.

The thought of being so powerless terrified her.

"Kitten, you're safe now." Loki wrapped his arms around her form, as Kit settled in his presence. He made her feel more safe than anyone ever has. More cared for, more honest, more loved.

He kissed the top of her head; truly a mistake in hindsight. His arms, his scent, his voice, his kiss... Kit felt the need she had hidden away grow. It snapped the ropes she used to chain it down, demanding an activity Kit knew they hadn't yet even considered. She didn't know Loki's stance on this very intimate matter, but that didn't stop her from sitting up and returning his gift.