My Step-Love Chapter 27

Karton was driving with Mom in the passenger seat with me and Ethan in the back both of us plastered to the door next to us glaring out the window. Mom was watching me through her side view mirror and Karton was watching Ethan through the rear view mirror. The ride was dead silent save the damn GPS voice. I could feel my eyebrow twitching every time I heard her annoying voice.

"It would be MUCH easier if I drove since I know where the place is," I snapped glaring at my soon to be parents. I can't believe how we already sound like a family yet their wedding isn't until like the end of summer "for a fresh start". That is Mom's excuse, but I really don't care when just as soon as the honeymoon goes by I am good.

"Well I don't think that Karton would want to sit in the back since you two are oh so cheery," Mom replied.

"Oh Ethan I love your shirt today!" I turned to Ethan all dreamily and sighed with a big fake smile.

He looked at me shocked then caught on, "Vanessa I don't think I have ever seen you so radiant in my life!"

"Alright you two! We don't need smart asses," Karton said mentally throwing daggers at us.

"Hey!" We both threw our hands up, "you want cheery we will give you the best we can muster up!"

Karton rubbed his temples, "I need a drink."

"I would be HAPPY to give you one but NOOOOO you two knew what you were doing and HAD to come along and drive," Ethan said dragging and exaggerating certain sounds then gave a smug look.

"Ditto," I said pulling my feet onto the car seat and folded my arms on top of my knees and rested my chin on my arms.

"We would have to be EXTREMELY drunk and drugged to let you TWO go off on your own! You two would either kill yourselves or disappear! Death is out of the equation AND we are not repeating last weekend again! Which is why we are here," Mom snapped at us.

"Gee I wonder why?!" I rolled my eyes, "unlike you two love birds WE," I motioned to me and Ethan, "can't stand each other! For the record I "disappeared" because I didn't want to hear your lecture about how well you know my life! Sorry Mom I worked at a BAR not a STRIP CLUB," I knew it was going to get ugly soon so I bit my tongue and leaned back into my seat with my hands in my lap.

"You were out with a bunch of drunk motorcyclists that were WAY over your age!"

"HE WAS NINETEEN!!!! TEN PLUS NINE! THAT IS TWO YEARS OLDER!! And he WASN'T drunk!"

"What about the other guy?"

"Just an old friend," I huffed looking out the window, "no one important."

"Whore," mumbled Ethan who got a slap from me.

"Shut up!" I glared.

"HEY!" Ethan and I lazily look at Karton, "quit it! Arguing is only going to make things worst and if you two want ANYTHING from us you will have to learn to live with each other!"

"Wait does anything include living in the mansion," Ethan asked.

"Yes," Mom replied, "I am not having two banshees living in my house!"

"Well fine with me! Cause soon as I get back I can just call my friends and they will take me in! They have already offered! SO! This entire trip is useless," I smiled confidently.

"What if we said no?"

"Then you will have to suffer with two banshees," I shrugged not making eye contact with Karton through the mirror. "However even if they wouldn't take me in I have enough money to live on my own from working that the bar, the mall and other side jobs."