My Step-Love Chapter 5

We arrived at what looked like a little shack that could easily be a beach supply store. On the inside of the store there were surf boards, boogie boards, and umbrellas against the wall, racks of swim stuff and towels along the walls or under racks were boxes full of water toys, goggles, snorkles, needed to be blown up tubes, frisbees and water footballs. I stuck close to Kent when we entered and stood in front of the counter.

"Yo, Ryan! You here?" shouted Kent to an open door that was behind the  office. I looked and saw a man who had long beach blond hair pulled back wearing a white sleeve torn off tank top and a pair of swim trunks. He was super tan and had bright blue eyes, he looked like you typical beach boy.

"Hey Kent! What can I do for ya and your friend?" he asked nodding to me to say hello I waved. The thing that shocked me the most was he didn't talk in that 'Far out duuuude!' voice, which I am grateful for. He returned to Kent placing his hands on the desk.

"I need to use get a couple things here."

"Well sorry I dont sell condoms nor birth control. I am just kidding, Mam, he is a rare catch!" said Ryan with a honest smile on his face. I blushed alittle when he called me Mam, I never been called Mam by someone around my age. Hell! I have never been called Mam only Miss.

"Ryan, you are a pain! Anyway, this is Vanessa and well you know he is Ryan." said Kent motioning from me to Ryan with his hands. "Now go get what you need, k?" I nodd and look at the girl shorts.

I grab a pair mini shorts that were black and a beach towel that was black with colored polka dots that made a rainbow pattern. Then I noticed my feet, no converse of mine will go on sand, so I look for flip flops as I look I find a plain black wedged with about an inch heel. I brought them to the counter. KEnt paid for them and just as we were leaving Ryan called out to me and handed me a hair tie, "dont worry it is fresh out of the package. I thought you might want to have your hair up so it doesn't get all tangled up in the sand and salt water. You have alot of hair after all." He said gestering to my wavey black river of hair. I smiled and thanked him then caught up with Kent who was carrying the stuff over his shoulder.

We walked down the road in silence until we can to a house about a mile away from the shack. Kent led me to the door then knocked on the door. The house was BIG! It was about three stories and was long sideways. There were lots of windows but they were all covered by curtains making the white house look abandon. A little lady in a blue sun dress open the door and smile with her red lips at me and Kent. Her pale skin was hardly wrinkled but she did have laugh lines which are good right? Her baby blue eyes welcomed us into her home. She had short striaght brown hair that barely touched her shoulder. "Hello Kent. Who is this lovely young girl?"

"Mom this is Vanessa. Vanessa this is my mom, Laura Clash."

"Hi Miss. Clash." I said Miss to be on the safe side because I dont want to say Mrs when she might be divorced.

"Hello Vanessa. You can call me Laura, but thank you for the manners." she said shaking my hand with a very impressed face. "You have a keeper Kent. She has strong hands, a willing spirit, a big heart and unbelievable respect. I must say where are you from? And who are your parents that taught you such manners? If you dont mind me asking."

"Well," I stared, "my mom is never around and doesn't do anything so I run the house and take care of Aki, my little half sister she is so cute. My dad did teach me manners and told 'Respect is key for survival.' But he pasted away when I turned 11, just a couple years after my half sister was born." I said blaintly, I have never been ashamed to talk about my life at home life, after all I have no reason to be ashamed I am doing more than I shoul Mom is the one who should be ashamed. I just never talk about my home life because no one asked.