How Insensitve

"Reaction, observation, communication— any questions so far?" Bailey addresses the residents

Almost everyone raises their hand, all with, no doubtably, the same question, why are we doing this? Solace sits back, in-between Cristina and Meredith, laying her head on Cristina's shoulder. She had a long Peds rotation last night and could dreadfully use a nap.

Bailey sighs, "We are doing this because chief Shepherd suggests we brush up on our patient sensitivity skills, that's why. And it just so happens, this morning was a very good time. Besides half of you were raised by wolves."

"She means you." Solace nudges Cristina.

The dark haired girl glares at her friend, shaking her off her shoulder, "Okay, no shoulder sleep for you."

Solace just shrugs, laying her head on Meredith's shoulder instead.

"Reaction." Bailey writes on the board, "Keep your face impassive. Whether prompted by a patients appearance or lab results, facial expressions of surprise, concern, disgust, et cetera, can be counter productive." Bailey reads off the paper in her hand. She looks up at the residents, spotting Solace half asleep, "Am I boring you Dr.Adler? Or do you think sensitivity training is above you?"

Solace opens one eye, "No ma'am. It's just, I'm one of the best residents in this hospital when it comes to patient sensitivity. I also have amazing people skills, but if I don't at least get a 5 minute nap, I'm going to be unbearable today." Closing her eye again.

Bailey doesn't pay her anymore attention, knowing the young girl had a point. If their was anyone in this hospital that didn't need a refresher in sensitivity, it was her. Solace was the only one of her residence that she's never had to discipline. She looks back down to her paper, "Jokes. Don't make jokes about patients, not in front of them, not even in private."

Cristina raises her hand, "What if the joke is really funny?"

"It's not." Bailey deadpans, "And neither was that one. Moving on."

"Wolves." Solace whispers, making Cristina poke her in her side. Meredith looks down at the girl, "You get mean on Peds."

"I used all my joy on the children. I have none left." Solace shrugs.

"Observation." Bailey continues, only for her pager to go off, making her start talking a little faster. "Okay, use reflective listening, repeat the patients feelings back to them." She gives an example.

Alex leans over to Meredith, Solace, and Cristina, "I can see you like vegetables. After surgery, you might become one."

It draws a laugh from all the girls, Solace lifting up her hand and reaching across Meredith, giving him a fist bump.

Baileys wrong, some jokes are just funny.

"Communication. Don't use jargon. Use langue that the patient can understand. Be creative in using metaphors."