Hard Bargain

"I am telling you, once we got these doctors talking, it was a horror show

"I am telling you, once we got these doctors talking, it was a horror show." Callie informs them as they all stand in Derek and Meredith's living room, storm brewing about outside.

"Shh." Arizona quiets her, "I just got Sofia back down."

Callie lowers her voice, "Oh, and, uh, Portland Gen has quotas now. Yeah. It's unspoken but it's understood that you have to churn out a certain number of procedures."

"And no research?" Meredith questions.

"Nope." Callie shakes her head, "Pegasus is only interested in high-volume, high price tag procedures. Barely any patient interaction. So no research, no innovation, no opportunity to do what it is we to into medicine to do."

"Well, we wont let that happen to us here." Derek argues.

"Oh yeah? That's what they said at first. And then the people that fought management for fired, and the rest wore down or they left." Callie informs them, "Now I don't want to leave. None of us do. You guys, come on. We have to do this. We have to buy the hospital."

"Whoa, hold on." Derek pleads.

Meredith shrugs, "Maybe she's right."

Jackson sighs, "Just wait a minute."

"What if we don't want to?" Arizona speaks up, "I'm sorry. It's never been my dream to run a hospital."

"Okay, well, you might not have to run it." Callie argues.

Solace sighs as the two woman go back and forth. She's tired and agitated, and just wants to go to sleep. Jackson looks down at where she's sitting on the couch, "You okay?"

"Tired." She grumbles out.

"—And Derek, you just got back, don't you want to just work?" Arizona asks.

"Work where?" Callie throws her hands up, "I don't want someone telling me which patients I can and can't treat."

"Or putting a stop watch on how much time you can spend with them." Meredith comments.

Solace sighs, "Can we do this another time? When I don't feel like passing out?"

Jackson sits down next to her, letting her curl into his side and rest against him.

"If we run the place, we could make policy decisions based on experience. Do y—"

Derek interrupts Callie, "No offense, but that is a naive way of putting it. The job is harder than you think. I wanted it once and I hated it."

Jackson nods, "I don't want to run a hospital. If I did, I would work for one my family already owns."

"We should stay the course. I made a deal with pegasus that apparently will help the sale." Derek informs.