Chapter 16: The coordinates

Upon Loki's departure for Asgard, you decided to get some more sleep before your training session with Steve. Today, all you need to do is attend training, and then you are mostly free to do what you want. There are still some legal documents to review afterwards, but they shouldn't take too much of your time.

The morning starts off with you getting into your training gear and tying up your raven hair into a solid bun, because Steve told you that today's training will be particularly challenging.

On your way to the training room, you hear JARVIS' voice echoing through the hallway.

"All Avengers must report to the conference room immediately."

"JARVIS, tell Tony I'm on my way up." You say as you run back up the stairs.

~~~~~~

"We're all here Tony, what's up?" Nat asks as she takes a seat next to you.

"SHIELD has a new mission for us." Tony announces as he pulls up a picture of a man with shoulder-length brown hair, dressed in black with a mask covering his nose and mouth and special goggles covering his eyes. Additionally, he appears to have a prosthetic arm made out of metal.

Tony displays some video footage on screen and you see the man murdering an entire room full of police officers in cold blood. Only one shot was required for each cop, which proves that the man has impeccable aim.

The sight of all the bodies makes you cringe.

"Who would do such a thing?" You wonder, not understanding why this happened.

"I know who this is." Nat interrupts as Tony was about to answer your question.

As Nat looks around the room, she notices that everyone is staring at her. A sigh escapes her lips.

"Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists. The ones that do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last 50 years." Nat explains.

A frown appears on Steve's face as he looks at her. "So he's a ghost story," He remarks coldly.

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran. Somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff. I pulled us out. But the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer so he shot him straight through me." Pulling up her shirt, she reveals a thick, raised scar on her belly just to the side of her bellybutton.

" Pulling up her shirt, she reveals a thick, raised scar on her belly just to the side of her bellybutton

"Soviet slug. No rifling. Bye-bye, bikinis." Nat concludes.

"Yeah, I'm sure you look terrible in them now." He quips somewhat sarcastically.

"Going after him is a dead end. I know, I've tried." Her gaze is fixed on Steve, "Like you said, he's a ghost story."

"Well, we're gonna try anyway. SHIELD managed to place a tracker on his vehicle, we've been tracking him ever since. He seems to have stopped at an old army base, so Nat, Nova, Steve, you're gonna go check it out." Tony displays the location on the holoscreen.