Chapter 19: Going Home

The Winter Soldier looks simultaneously confused and conflicted as he asks, "Who the hell is Bucky?"

Taking advantage of his confusion, you freeze his body in place.

As Steve looks at you angrily, he mutters, "What are you doing?".

"Putting a stop to him! Cap, he's brainwashed; he can't be reasoned with! He's a danger to all of us!"

"Let him go! He's my friend!" Steve yells as he attempts to approach you, but Thor steps in to prevent him from doing so.

You stared at Steve perplexedly. "Your friend? What do you mean by that?"

"Bucky! James Buchanan Barnes!"

"I thought he died in the Swiss Alps after falling off a train."

"I did too. Please Nova, release him. I need to talk to him."

"Steve, I can't. He's not himself. He saw your face and he still fought you. I promise you that this doesn't hurt him. Believe me when I say that he needs help." You put your hands out in front of you. "This is only temporary. We need to take him to someone who can help him."

"Stark, we have someone captured in a block of ice that needs to be transported to the jet. Can you help us?"

~~~~~~

As Steve leans against the wall, holding his shield with both hands, his head is slightly lowered. He watches as Thor lifts the Winter Soldier onto the platform JARVIS sent for him to be transported to the Quinjet. As you add another layer of ice on top of the current one, Steve watches closely.

Steve looks up, his gaze skeptical. "Are you sure you're not hurting him?".

"Of course. He has been in and out of cryostasis for the last 70 years. If anything, he is in less pain. Those machines were never designed to be comfortable for him. But they were easy to use for the Soviets." Steve nods in understanding.

"I'm sorry for lashing out at you like that. These last ten days must have been awful for you."

"Steve, you don't need to apologize. I understand. I didn't know he was an old lost friend of yours." You smile and Steve relaxes, "You know, if the roles were reversed, I would have acted the same way."

"Bucky and I have been friends for as long as I can remember. We thought Bucky died when he fell off the train. Whatever Zola did to him allowed him to survive." Steve sighed.

You place your hand on Steve's shoulder and gently squeeze it. "I'm so sorry. Maybe Tony's source can help him and you'll have a chance to chat." You place your hand on Steve's shoulder when he starts searching his pockets.

"Here." Steve hands you an earpiece and you eagerly insert it into your ear. 

"Thank you," you say with a smile. "Is Loki here as well?"

"He is." Steve nods and you can't help but feel happy that he joined the search. "He is in the Quinjet, helping Bruce and Nat heal Clint. Clint took a hit but he will be fine."

"Poor Clint." You shake your head.

You couldn't stop thinking about Loki during your time here. He's been on your mind constantly and you are sure that you consider him more than a friend. Especially after what happened before he left for Asgard.

However, it does occur to you that he was away for two whole weeks. You don't want to remind yourself of what you saw in his bedroom on Asgard. However, you can't help but wonder if you were just another way for him to get what he wanted.

But he's here. He's actually here. He cared enough to come and find you. Your heart flutters thinking about it and you can't wait to hold him.

You really missed him, but you won't tell him that. You don't want to come across as desperate.