Chapter 17: Folklore Or History?

In Asgard, Thor leads Loki, shackled and followed by a dozen Einherjar, to the throne, where Odin awaits. Loki protested being shackled as he wasn't a prisoner anymore, but Thor insisted. He convinced his brother that it would demonstrate to their father his willingness to surrender, thus lessening his punishment.

"Welcome home, my sons." Odin says, noting Loki's chains around his wrist, waist, and neck. Loki raises his eyebrows, not expecting Odin to still be civil after his deception.

At the bottom of the stairs, Loki glances at the slate-colored braziers. Even though there is nothing inside to fuel them, the fire blazes and crackles within. Clearly, his mother had the servants place them there since Odin is not one to redecorate.

"I see mother has resorted to redecorating to pass her time." Loki chuckles, but Odin's gaze remains steady.

"Loki, you did not adhere to our agreement."

"Technically, you failed to bind me properly, I didn't break any rules." Loki smiles a little too proudly.

In response to his brother, Thor clears his throat and shakes his head. Loki's smile fades.

"Father, in the end, Loki only used his seidr for good. He saved a Midgardian man and his son from a nefarious organization. And, he has been teaching Lady Nova how to control her magic since she had no one else to turn to."

"Loki, is this true?" Odin asks.

Gratitude spreads across Loki's face as he replies humbly, "Yes, Allfather." He nods at Thor, thanking him for speaking out. 

Taking a moment to think, Odin glances between Thor and Loki and rests his eyes on Loki's chains.

"Very well. Though you did not adhere to the rules of your banishment, you helped those around you and thus your punishment will be less severe. Instead, you will assist Mímir's scholars in their research on Miss Hemming." Loki raises his eyebrows at him. Odin has never been known to be lenient. But Thor chimed in, that's probably why.

"How long would you have me do this for?" Loki asks.

"In two weeks time, you may return to Midgard where you will continue your quest for redemption." Odin snaps his fingers, and an Einherjar approaches. "Fetch one of the scholars."

"In order to be allowed back among the gods, what is it that I must achieve on Midgard?"

"I want you to show on a grander scale that you are worthy of being a Prince. You must show me you are humble and care about more than just your rank."

The Einherjar returns to the throne room several minutes later with a scrawny young scholar carefully padding behind him, clearly overwhelmed by the majestic room.

"Your name, scholar."

"Olaf, Allfather." The young man attempts a bow. He seems unsure of royal protocol.

"Olaf, take Prince Loki along to help you with your research on Miss Hemming. Considering he spent quite a bit of time with Miss Hemming, he should be able to offer a great deal of insight."

Olaf bows again and waits for the Einherjar to remove Loki's chains. As soon as he is freed, Loki follows Olaf out of the throne room and to the research wing at the far end of the palace.

~~~~~~

"This book has a story about Draugar kidnapping Vanaheimr children." Olaf points to the paragraph he just read.

"The Draugar?" Loki looks up in disbelief.

"Walking dead. They stole babies and kids from their homes to feed their Mistress."