Chapter 5: Evil Returns To Midgard

Upon entering the throne room, you are soon stopped by a dozen Einherjar. As one of the Einherjar walks over to Loki and attaches the chains once again to his waist and neck, you watch.

With the exception of yesterday, Loki has been chained more than he has been free. Since New York, Loki has been locked in a cell in the Palace's depths, which has been over a year.

Being chained like a dog every time you leave your cell must be awful. Even so, you are aware that prisoners are treated equally on Earth. Nevertheless, it must be horrible to be chained in your own home. Having absolutely no freedom to roam around.

Loki deserved it, you know that. The harsh punishment he received was well deserved.

Loki snarls in disgust, "Is this really necessary?".

The Einherjar guard does not speak as he hands Thor one end of the chain, then walks to you to give you the other. The guard steps aside, allowing you three to approach the throne.

Odin taps Gungnir to catch your attention as you approach the bottom of the steps.

During yesterday's walk with Thor, you learned that this is the name of the spear-like staff the Allfather holds. Apparently, it is the most powerful weapon ever created. Even more powerful than Mjolnir, although Thor would never admit it.

"Step forward, Nova Hemming."

As Thor gives you a nod of encouragement, his smile spreads across his face. With anxious fidgeting, you approach the bottom of the enormous golden throne, bowing in respect.

As he gestures for you to rise, Odin begins, "I have given your request some thought."

"Yes, Allfather?"

"This is Mímir. The God of Knowledge." Odin points to the gray-bearded man approaching from the right. Since he seemed to be hidden behind one of the nearby pillars, you hadn't noticed him before.

"Mímir leads Asgard's finest scholars, researchers and spies. Once he has asked you a few questions, he will have his people look through the archive and search for disappearances within this realm."

"That is amazing! - I mean, I thank you, Allfather." You exclaim a bit too loudly, and Odin frowns slightly at your outburst.

"Mímir, ask your questions." Odin gestures for Mímir to speak.

Mímir bows to Odin before heading toward you. "Thank you, Allfather." With a mere thought, he conjures up a quill and what appears to be parchment paper.

"Good morning, my Lady. There are a few questions we would like to ask you. We hope your responses will assist us in our search."

"Please, ask away." A gentle smile spreads across your face.

"How did you land on Midgard?" Mímir stares at you and you ponder before answering his question.

"I'm not sure. All I know for sure is that I was just a baby when I got there."

"Hmmm." Mímir hums as he scribbles a few notes down. Can you tell me if you have any relatives on Midgard?"

I don't. I was raised by a woman during my first few centuries, but she was murdered by the Vikings when our village was raided."

"My condolences, dear Lady." Mímir's face softens. "But you tell me of a woman who lived several centuries, what was her name? And who was she?"

As you pause, you realize it has been at least 700 years since she died. It was a brutal death, the Vikings took no prisoners. Innocent villagers were slaughtered for fun and their belongings looted. They weren't like the folk tales on Earth portray them.