Chapter 14: Prison life

Thursday, june 25th 2020 Joe POV 8am

I was woken up by a banging on the door. I looked towards it and saw two food trays. Eugene was already standing there and grabbed both before walking to me and handing me one.

Joe: Thanks.

Eugene: No problem. Quick word of advice. Try to be up before 8. That's when we get breakfast and the day starts.

I took a bite of a pancake....and by pancake I mean a hockey puck that looks like a pancake. What are these things made of? Concrete?

Joe: I'll keep that in mind...what are the days like anyway?

Eugene: Breakfast at 8 then at 9 they'll fetch us for morning training. At 12 they'll bring you back here and at 2 they'll fetch us for either another training session or testing. Then at 7 is dinner at 9 it's lights out.

Joe: Interesting...wait! Testing? Training?

Eugene: They train us on how to use our powers. Some of us got here when we were just kids, then there's people like you and me who were sentenced to be here. They also do some tests that range from how our abilities work under stress to drilling holes into our heads.

Joe: But they can't do that! We have rights!

Eugene: We're prisoners Joe. We don't have rights.

Joe: Damn...How long do you have until you can get out?

Eugene: I lost track of time, but I guess somewhere between 10 and 12 years. You?

Joe: If I'm lucky I'll just be here for a year, then I can get out on parole.

Eugene: You really are lucky, but whatever you do, don't do anything stupid.

Joe: That's the plan. I mean I don't want to stay here longer than I have to.

Eugene: That should be the least of your worries. As soon as you misbehave once they give you a drug. The high feels awesome, but as soon as the withdrawal kicks in you'll feel the worst pain imaginable. It can last weeks, sometimes even months. The only way to get rid of it is to either deal with the pain until the symptoms fade...or behave and get another dose to immediately get rid of the pain. This pain is nothing to scoff at. 2 years ago some guy killed himself with a razor because he couldn't stand the pain. That's also why commissary doesn't sell razors anymore.

Joe: You had the drug?

Eugene: More than once. The first time was during one of their tests. They strapped me to a machine and made me use my powers. I tried to escape. They suppressed my powers and then drugged me. After the first time everything changes. Good behavior is rewarded with another dose to relieve the pain. Bad behavior means withdrawal.

Joe: God damn.....

Eugene: That's why you shouldn't do anything stupid.

Until 9 we kept talking, but eventually the cell door opened and two officers came in.

Officer1: Prisoner Jackson, follow me.

I nodded and followed the officer for a couple of minutes until we got into a big room. I looked around a bit until I heard Augustine's voice.

Augustine: Good morning Joe, I hope you had a good nights rest.

Joe: As good as it can be in a prison cell.

Augustine: That's good to hear. We'll start simple today. There are 15 targets across the entire arena. You have one minute to shoot them all down. Time begins as soon as you step of the platform.

What?! This area is huge! I can't run that fast. I looked around a bit and saw a few in the distance. The arena was round so I probably should run to the back and make my way to the front from there on.
I heard a beeping from my wrist and saw the red lights on the cuffs were now green. I had my powers back. I started running at lightspeed into the back and started shooting at targets. I hit 10 before I heard a buzzer indicating that my time was over.