11. It's Complicated

(Happy Sinhala and Tamil New year guys! and enjoy your story!)

Song for this chapter - Lights by Ellie Goulding 

(Extract from Niall's Diary)

"It's hard to believe how she was managing up with everything. Her life isn't normal. There's something magical and I'm still figuring things out. One moment she was all happy and then, she was occupied with various things.

I saw how hurt she was in that room. She seemed a very brave girl but medicine makes her shield go off. I pretended not to look at her but inside of me was burning with her tears. Harry came in unexpectedly which gave me a chance to slide away from that agony. Guess he's more into her. He pretty likes her. I wonder what she thinks. But then again I saw her eyeing for me, trying her best to start a conversation. But I was not ready for that. When she came running for me, that was when I realized one half of my soul is yearning for that long gone feeling. It's back. And I don't know how to deal with it this time."

(Niall's POV) 

We had a party tonight and it was amazing. Most of our friends were there, especially Ed and the Little Mix. We were so happy to meet them and you should have seen how happy Zayn was. Perrie and the girls were invited to a TV show and for a charity event so they got a chance to join with us.

'Whoow... Niall. Did you buy this? It's soo cool.' Louis's voice woke me up from the day dream I was in.

'Nope. A gift from somebody.' I said.

'A person with good taste I guess. And really likes you.' He winked at me like he knew the person who sent me this.

'Yeah, you are the genius of everything. Thanks Lou.' I said it sarcastically because his sassiness was more than he could hold.

Louis tapped on my shoulders and went back to his room. I was all alone in this big hotel room with a surprise package.

After the party we came back exhausted with the idea of jumping on to our beds. Zayn went with Perrie, so only four of us remained in the car. Harry was quite drunk and had to carry him on the elevator. My beer marathon with Liam went well and won the title AGAIN! Louis met a new blonde at the bar and he was so into her. But I know it was just a little fling as she was not her type. Louis and Liam came with me to my room to collect their shoes and Liam went back.  But Louis stood to see the mystery package I found on the couch.

I figured out what it was before opening it, so I slowly tore off the brown paper to find a shining black guitar with perfect tuning. First I couldn't believe my eyes but when I started to strum each wire my heart began pumping blood again. The voice of it reminds me of my broken guitar which was the same modal as this.

WAIT! My broken guitar and this? It was an old one with a big history. There's only few left and how come I get the exact same guitar anonymously? Nobody can find these so quickly and people who saw the accident didn't know the value of it except... Harry! But this work was not his and I know that.

I kept the guitar aside to check on the torn papers for a note or for something that might give a hint. Then I found this little note filled with beautiful hand writing.

Dear Mr. Horan,

I'm sorry for the accident caused by my clumsiness. And I'm sorry about your guitar. I know it was your favourite of all and nothing can replace that space in your heart. But I feel guilty and I cannot live with that. Please accept my gift as it's the least I can do. He's my oldest guitar and hope you will like him. I call him James and was named after my favourite singer. He'll be happy to be with a person like you. This might look like absurd but please take care of him. After this I'll feel free.

Yours apologetic employee,

Rachel.

Once again she touched my sore spot in my heart and healed it with her sincere words. So it was her idea and she had given her favourite guitar to me. If it wasn't her favourite, she won't name it after her favourite singer. And she named it 'James'. Which James was she referring to? Was it James Bay or James Taylor?

Or... was it Niall James?

I woke up the next day with a bad headache. I was asked to visit the next door for the recording after the breakfast so my whole day was reserved for our next album. But on one side of my brain was occupied with the idea of meeting Rachel, swirling around with anxiety.

'Niall, shall we get back to the first part, again?' I nodded at Jon, our music director with a tired smile.

'You are rushing today, Niall. What's wrong?' I said 'Nothing.' and moved on.

When I stepped out from the hotel, it was almost night time. The busy streets with rushing headlights of the cars were passing me. I put on my hood and started walking alone the pavement with the idea of catching a cab to the stadium.

The heavy traffic made my ride a long one but my nervousness made it longer. I had no idea about this but I knew there's something wrong with my feelings. From the window I saw some blue shiny lines starting to ease the darkness of the sky. The sound of thunder came next making the whole city shuddered with its power. Little droplets began to fall onto the glasses and made the sight blurry. Within minutes the drizzling converted into a heavy rain and it made us stuck on the road forever.

At the end of the long ride I managed to enter into the stadium, half soaked with rainwater because of the slow running. I predicted that she might be here working, so walked towards the rooms in search of her. I remembered what she told me the other day, 'I know I'm not supposed to meet any of you. It's strictly against the rules.' So without being suspicious I was walking when I met him.

'Niall?! What are you doing here? Did you come with Paul?' Sam was carrying some rolled posters and accidently he bumped into me.

'Ah.. no, no. I just came to visit because I felt bored.' I hoped that he bought my lie.

'But with this rain?! You never step out when it's raining Niall.' He shifted his weight from one leg to the other.

'Yeah, but I was out way before the rain.' I lifted my shoulders. I felt cold as I was soaked with water but it was not important now. I need to see Rachel.

'Sam. Can I just quickly go to the changing room and come? I have to borrow something.' It was the only way and it was the best time.

'But you can't without Caroline. She has the keys.' He said, but then he remembered something.

'Oh wait. There was Rachel.'

'She's here.' I said to myself. But the hope didn't last long.

'Bad news though. She had to leave so suddenly. She was in a rush. Poor girl.' Sam kept the posters on a nearby golf cart seat and signalled me to follow him.

But how can I meet her now. Why did she leave early? I needed to talk about her gift. I needed to return it back. Was she in trouble? I need answers god damn it!

'Why? What happened?' I questioned Sam as a random one.

'Paul got a call from somebody. I was there too. He said that was the girl's mother. She wanted her to come home ASAP. I don't know the whole reason. But I saw Rachel's reaction when she heard it. She was going through a fashion book but threw it away and ran to her hotel. She's fly back to London tonight, I guess.' Sam gave me all the information I was in need of. He called and cab for us to leave the premise and he blurted out the whole incident while we were waiting for it.

My mind was not ready to take this whole thing at once. She was having a tough time here and now her home. I don't know what to do because I'm nothing to her. Of course I'm her boss but that doesn't count. It was a personal matter and I cannot interfere with it. Oh... how I wish I had more connections with her so I could help. 

'Rachel. Be safe.' I muttered looking at the night sky which was cleared after the heavy rain. 

(Share/ like/comment)