33. My Angle with a Past

(Niall's POV)

'I will never follow you again.'

'Who said you have to follow me?'

Louis and Liam were having their moment at the back of the seat. We were back on the road thanks to Rachel. Her bravery kept us alive today. I wouldn't know how we could ever face Paul, but I was sure Rachel would get credit from him.

It had been few minutes, yet she was silent. This was unusual of hers. Her glittering eyes were locked on the empty road and the expression was no match to that as if she was having a mind gamble on her own. I didn't want to distract her. She was acting normal until...

Was she afraid of my fans? Couldn't be. She was much stronger than that. Was she afraid of me? That her fate would end like that? I wish I could hear her. I wish she could open up to me. Rachel... please talk to me...

I was in the front seat trying to solve the mystery of my girlfriend. I couldn't talk to her openly with the guys at the back. But they were all busy fighting and arguing about their past actions which gave me room to have a moment with Rachel.

I couldn't bear this silence between us any longer.

'Rachel?'

Zero comments. Must try harder.

'Are we going back?'

'Rach?' I was trying to detect any change in that motionless face.

'Rach... thanks for everything. If you wouldn't have come, we would've been roasted by the fans.'

A slight hum escaped from her lips. Improvement, but no sign of relaxation on her.

What has happened to her? I didn't move my eyes away from her as I was lost in that expressionless face. We were standing right in front of a storm. I could almost sense it. And it was proved correct within seconds as her demeanor started to change.

She had started breathing heavily.

'Rachel? Are you ok?'

My nerves were getting wild and couldn't contain the rush inside me. Her grip had tightened around the wheel. She was not safe. None of us were safe. I turned my gaze back on the road and I couldn't catch any glimpse of a clear picture beside the road as the speed was rising by the time. Unconsciously I looked at the speedometer.

'Rachel!! Slow down! You are going over the limit!'

I couldn't hold myself any longer. I was not worried about myself, but nothing could come to my angle. Besides, the boys were here.

'Rachel!'

'Rachel!'

The boys had come to their senses the moment I mentioned the speed rate. They started screaming like girls. I was not worried if it was a straight road, but this was a very dangerous path we were riding, along with the hills and bends. One snap and we could be rolling over the leap.

'Rachel... please come to your senses.' With calmness, I tried to cut her off from the emotional rush of hers with my hand reaching to meet her stiff hands, but before I could do anything Harry started screaming,

'Truck! Rachel! Ahead of you!'

The honking got louder and I looked through the windscreen to meet a giant truck coming right into us from the narrow bend with its head lights blinking to warn us.

'For god sake, Rachel!'

I released Rachel's hand, grabbed the wheel cutting left to meet the stone wall finally reaching towards Rachel one last time I closed my eyes.