Chapter Thirty One

The expectations were pretty high, no one had told Severus who would be his new full-time carer. He had given his preferences in a form and certainly, Jonathan and Himiko wrote down a very specific set of requirements stated as indispensable, but they only said the person would arrive two days after Snape's leave at the hospital.

In the meantime, Jonathan stayed there with them, making sure Snape was well settled in Remus' new place. Severus was still reluctant to occupy the best bedroom of the house, however, after another conversation with Remus, the werewolf was honest about the fact that sleeping alone in a double bed still made him feel uneasy. To which Severus refrained from speaking his not-so-secret desire to share it with him, and accepted. They were still reapproximating and he believed himself to be a good few weeks worth of good sleep behind schedule to start making plans that could change his recovery.

Snape's first impressions of the place couldn't be better, he grew fond of it on the first day he spent there. While they all waited for the arrival of the new carer, Severus still looked around approvingly. It was a beautiful house, and well decorated even, something Remus made sure to point out Hermonie and Ginny were responsible for. It was very easy on the eyes, not too much information, Remus wasn't someone that felt comfortable losing track of all his belongings. The atmosphere there was cozy and Severus was still waiting for an opportune moment to tell Remus how proud he was of him for taking such good care of Teddy. Everyone could tell Teddy was very loved and that being there for his needs was second nature to Remus already.

Jonathan and Severus already had a nice talk about the time they shared at the hospital on the previous night, right after dinner. They had become friends and Lupin liked to see Severus being able to trust someone completely after going through so much. This was also the first time Snape's medical team allowed him to eat whatever he wanted and Remus used all his Gryffindor courage to replicate a dish they had during the summer break they spent together at Snape's house.

As Remus prepared some of the ingredients, Snape got closer slowly, making his presence known not to startle the other while he stirred two different cooking spoons with his magic, using his index finger.

"Wish I could be more useful around the house, but I think you are doing well" Snape said right behind him

Remus felt his shoulders shrink a little and a warm familiar feeling came to him. He smiled to himself and blinked to look downwards, giving it a little touch before turning to see Severus.

"Said the man that can brew things in five different caldrons at the time" he replied in his crooked smile

They spent a moment quietly but then Remus realized Severus had taken a step forward. The Slytherin placed his hand on Remus's opposite arm, almost feeling like a casual hug. Snape raised his face a little to make up for the height difference and spoke in a low voice to the side of Remus' face.

"I recognize it, remember it very fondly too"

Now still waiting for their new visitor, Remus could tell Snape was thinking about the previous night, they had been lingering more in the same room for no reason at all since then. And Snape made sure to sit right next to him on the couch, when he would usually sit across him for the past few years.

When they heard the light knocks on the wooden door, Remus got up to answer it. He opened it slowly and was surprised in a positive way to see a rather short and gracious witch standing on the other side with two suitcases that pilled up, were comically almost her height.

"Evening, you must be Mr. Lupin, right? Delighted to meet you" she said kindly, her black eyes meeting his as they shook hands

"The pleasure is mine, please come in" Remus offered, feeling distracted with the fact he didn't remember thinking about shooking hands and some sudden lightness that came with her presence