Chapter Nine

The following weeks went on rather fast, sometimes the semester would enter a loop of activities for both teachers and students and everyone was too busy to give attention to matters that weren't a priority due to the next day.

Lupin didn't have much of a chance to talk to Severus about that delicate subject, whenever they had time to spend together, the Gryffindor always found himself leaving it for another moment, not willing to spoil their good mood.

Snape, however, started to notice his lover was gradually treating him in a colder manner. There was no apparent reason for it, so to Severus' eyes, the only explanation could be that Lupin was losing interest in him. And that was painful to even think about. Also, since consent was key to Severus in every single interaction, he also started not touching him as often, insecure of how much Lupin wanted him.

The two wizards found themselves immersed in their own internal struggles and over the course of weeks it also started to give room to some irritability from both sides. The little things started to build up between them to a point they knew something unspoken was happening.

Taking all that apart and being more direct to how this all started, Severus was waiting outside Lupin's classroom. The class was almost over and he was willing to talk to Remus about some potion-making. While waiting outside, he focused on the voice he heard coming from behind the wooden doors. Remus could be humble about it, but he was certainly a great teacher. He sounded so confident while teaching it would give Severus some butterflies on his stomach as he listened quietly on the outside.

After all the students were gone, Snape politely asked to enter, unsure if Remus wanted to see him and if there were any students still there.

Remus felt some butterflies as well, listening to his favorite voice was a surprise at that time of the evening.

"We still haven't discussed about new potions. Or improving the one I made previously. I was wondering if you're not too busy tonight" Snape asked him

"No, I'm not. I finished correcting the evaluations and I postponed the essays to next week, have some time, this was my last class today" Remus answered walking towards the other

Some silence followed, it was a strange atmosphere between them since they didn't have a fight but things weren't as great as before.

"I'm also done teaching for the day. Shall we go to the dungeons?" Snape asked him

"Sure, I'll just get something to eat from my desk upstairs. Won't be long" Remus answered

At Snape's classroom, they sat side by side and the Potion's Master started to ask Remus some questions he had written on his notebook. He seemed to be determined to understand why his potion numbed the pain from the second transformation but not the first, as intended. He was suspicious of an ingredient in the Wolfsbane itself, that could have reverted the effect.

Remus assured him that if it was impossible to numb both, he would now prefer to attenuate the pain from his second transformation. He was able to rest better and walk to the bed, something far better than feeling a horrible force compress him back to human form and faint due to the pain.

When the questions were over, they sat silently side by side, both anxious to start a subject that couldn't be postponed anymore. Severus knew he would never have the courage to begin the conversation, it would imply asking Remus if he still wanted to be together and the fear of rejection was haunting him.

Once again, the werewolf decided to take the first step to start. He turned a little to the side so he could see Snape's face better. This only made Snape's stomach twist. He had been hoping maybe he was making things up on his mind, but now he knew there was something wrong.