Chapter Thirty Six

It is true that time goes by very quickly when the days are pleasant and every time you wake up in the morning there is so much delight to be lived and felt. It never ceased to amaze them how their favorite type of date was to get dressed up and go to their favorite restaurants in a more reserved corner to simply talk to each other. Every shared opinion was so fascinating, so interesting, how could they always have something to talk about when they already shared a house? A truly wholesome mystery.

Teddy's two-year-old birthday had happened a couple of months ago and to Remus' relief, nothing happened. Not in that full moon, not in any other that followed. And the more time passed, the more they believed Teddy indeed hadn't inherited Lycanthropy from his father. His ability to shapeshift, however, that one was even hard to catch up with, every day or so Teddy would come up with something different. And now being less worried, Remus could hold him without the guilt of a lifetime, which gave even more room to his parental love, if possible.

Snape continued his research on the Wolfsbane for toddlers and children regardless of Teddy, it was way too important for that version of Wolfsbane to exist. And he didn't stop until the first bottle made it to the shelves of Balsamum, perfectly balanced and safe for use. Given that a child's transformation can take place at home rather safely if they have a good room for that, Lupin's worries finally faded. He never thought that to be possible, but they were gone. For the first time in his life, he knew he'd always have a potion for himself and for his son if he ever needed it.

Still, Remus had mixed feelings about transforming at the hospital. He'd much rather empty a room and do it at home, but he carried the trauma of the times the wolf tricked him into not taking his potions. For that reason, he kept going to the hospital's under-quarters to transform inside secured rooms. He missed the type of care Severus had given him in a more private environment. Wearing his collar right after transforming back to his human form was maybe the only good thing about being a werewolf that he cared to admit. There was something so blissful, so dreamy, so warm, and undeniably erotic about it that made him foggy just to think about it. It was addicting to feel that way while Severus caressed him behind his ears and under his chin, just like he would do to pet him in his wolf form.

They felt no shame anymore, when taken home and high on his senses they would make love until Remus was a quivering puddle, tired to his bones, but ready to have the best sleep and rest of the month. He dreamed and lived his following days fueled by nothing less than love in its rawest form, the most instinctual affection he has ever needed now was always there for him, available, easy, spoken, and understood in the same language. And seeing Remus healing over the course of months was a gift to Severus, whenever the werewolf smiled, Severus felt warm in his heart. Meeting him in his smile was his altar, his most sacred place.

The potion's master was always talking to Lupin about making a basement in the house for that, they could do both magical and physical security mechanisms. Maybe one day he'd convince him it was worth it, that night at the Shrieking Shack, so many years ago, had been the last time it happened. He respected his fears, but he hoped one day the basement idea would take place.

In the meantime, however, Lupin kept transforming there in his room at the hospital. The last full moon was maybe the only time Snape went back to the hospital the next day to exchange a few angry words with the nurse that took care of that room.

Severus went to the hospital with Pixie for one of his consultations and when picking Remus up, he somehow knew there was something off about his lover. Even to Remus' standards, he was too quiet, he carried a troubled expression that was hard to decipher. Severus asked if someone had been rude or intrusive to him, but he said no in slightly distant way.

When at home, with Severus embracing him quietly, trying to warm him up, Lupin finally managed to ask for some extra help.

Snape frowned and widened his eyes but tried to remain calm. That was a word not so commonly used by Remus. He'd ask for care, hugs, kisses, cuddling, closer contact, and potions. But help, that made Snape alert on the spot.