Chapter Eight

The night was finally arriving, the next sunset would give place to the full moon. Being honest to themselves, Severus and Remus couldn't wait for it. In the last days, Remus' mood didn't give them any signs of improvement. Snape was even contemplating the idea of inviting him to spend the night before the full moon on his bedroom, no second intentions, it was simply to give him some company. Remus, however, was declining any activities that required interaction with others, not wanting to be a burden to anyone.

The werewolf just stayed in his own bedroom making the plans for his classes and listening to music, slightly panicked to think that he would be transformed by this time tomorrow. He had this ritual of staying up late or not sleeping at all so that the wolf would have less energy when transformed. Snape, on the other hand, went to bed early, knowing the next night would probably be a long one.

When their eyes met for the first time in the morning, they smiled briefly to each other, the type of smile that has a deep meaning beneath the surface. Remus had this thing about Snape, he couldn't look directly at him and also had a hard time looking away from his direction for too long.

Lupin was nervous, it was noticeable. The wizard knew Dumbledore was probably analyzing him the same way he did every month before the full moon. Snape noticed the werewolf barely ate and seemed to be looking around too much, almost searching for someone that knew his secret and would say it out loud at any moment.

After long moments of daydreaming as he looked to the Great Hall and all the students, Remus felt Snape holding his wrist over the table. He widened his eyes for a second, startled with the contact and for not concealing it.

"No need to be so nervous. You shall be fine" Severus leaned a little closer to whisper to him

"Severus, people are looking" Remus said also in a whisper

"I know" He said in a somehow bitter way, breaking the contact, "Can I meet you... later?"

"Absolutely not" Remus said in a decisive way

"If you have been taking it correctly, I assure you it will be safe for us both" Snape said in a calculated manner

"Are you testing me?" Lupin accused

"I am. And I also want to go" Snape said finishing his coffee

"I'm taking everything correctly but I'm also taking the other one this time, what if... you know" Lupin said anguished looking around

"Get up, we need to talk where we can use at least a third of our vocabulary" Snape said raising from his chair wondering why they still bothered trying to eat and have a conversation at the table

They went to Lupin's classroom and sat over the desks to talk to each other. Lupin was horrified with the idea and Snape was trying to make any possible deal that included giving him assistance.

"Severus, you asked me if you could go, I suppose my opinion still counts for something"

"Why don't you allow me to stand by you? I can help if you need anything. And if the Wolfsbane doesn't work under the influence of the second potion, wouldn't you say it's better to have me around to make sure you don't scape the house?" Snape said finally

Lupin wanted to have something else to say but Snape had a point.

"It's not just that... I... Don't want you to see me that way" He said looking away and touching his neck

Snape got closer to answer him and look into his eyes.

"I've seen you as a werewolf before and when you transformed back. Doesn't... change anything, Remus" he said touching his face