friends

::::::

and what the hell were we?
tell me we weren't just friends
this doesn't make much sense, no
but i'm not hurt, i'm tense

'cause i'll be fine without you, babe

- friends : chase atlantic 

::::::

(relevant to chapter 81 and 82 of the tokyo revengers manga)

2005

"y/n! i'm back!" takemichi exclaimed when she opened akkun's door to greet him.

 "ew, you're like, 27." y/n said, but still invited her friend inside. takemichi was suddnely reminded of something the girl had said about a certain aspect of his appearance in the future, which he didn't much appreciate. 

"what went terribly wrong in our future this time?" she sat down on the bed and gestured for takemichi to sit next to her. the rest of their friends were playing cards on the floor, so they couldn't hear the conversation. 

"some... really bad stuff." he wasn't about to tell her what happened, even if she didn't know that chifuyu was her husband yet, it would still hurt. 

"must be pretty shit if you won't tell me. let's not dwell on the future, tell me what we're doing this time."

"that's the thing, i don't-"

"hey, what're you two whispering about?" akkun asked.

"creepy-michi." yamagishi frowned.

"you're our captain, have some self-awareness!" makoto scolded. 

"we won't be able to keep the first division together at this rate." takuya grinned.

"whaddaya mean 'we'? WAIT, DID YOU GUYS JOIN TOMAN?!" he yelled.

"huh? yeah, we did." akkun said, wondering why takemichi didn't know; it wasn't recent news.

"you invited them in yourself, didn't you?" chifuyu spoke up, startling takemichi, who hadn't noticed he was there previously. y/n was surprised he hadn't noticed her glancing at him every few seconds. she couldn't help it. it gave her butterflies whenever they made eye-contact, which happened about every single time she looked up. 

"what's with the pause?" chifuyu asked, and takemichi started to tear up, which brought y/n's mind back to the current future, in which some supposedly 'really bad stuff' happened. she became even more startled when takemichi's gaze kept shifting between the two of them, filling up with more tears. he wasn't being very discreet.

"it's... it's nothing." 

y/n and chifuyu gave each other equally confused looks, before getting into a discussion with everyone about the black dragons. y/n had been previously informed of the incident in which takemichi was beaten up by their leader. 

"the tenth black dragons are the most maniacal and evil generation they've ever had. that's because of one reason!" y/n always took notice of how excited and serious chifuyu got when telling others about gang affairs. 

"their absolute ruler, taiju shiba!" this caused all of the boys to start ranting on about this so-called tyrant, and y/n just sat and listened, taking mental note of any useful information.

at some point, y/n had fallen asleep, and chifuyu could barely contain himself from simply melting. he decided now was a good time to talk to takemichi in private about what baji left to him. 

...

"what the hell do you mean? 'came from the future'?" chifuyu stared at takemichi, who had just accidentally blurted out that piece of classified information.