eventually

::::::

wish i could turn you back into a stranger
'cause if i was never in your life
you wouldn't have to change it

-eventually : tame impala

::::::

(relevant to chapter 111 and 112 of the tokyo revengers manga)

2006

"you're fired."

toman stood in their usual meeting place, just outside the musashi shrine after dark. y/n had graduated from sitting on the bench, to standing in the crowd - an invitation from mikey himself. it didn't feel much different, other than the fact that she could hear the leader much more clearly now, and he had just fired kisaki. the man responsible for chifuyu's murder in the future.

everyone started looking to one another, to get confirmation that they heard correctly. from their perspective, mikey had just let go a perfectly good division captain. but y/n knew why.

"we gave mikey-kun a general report of kisaki's betrayal." chifuyu revealed. it was true; he and y/n had gone to the gang leader to dob on the traitor, "but... i never thought he would respond like this..."

"what're you saying, mikey? you're joking, right?" kisaki said, a menacing smile on his face.

"i'm not joking here." mikey remained stern, "you're fired."

"woah, woah, hold the phone, mikey." hanma walked out from the crowd, "if you fire kisaki, then i'm out too. which means..."

he held his arms out wide, for dramatic effect.

"of the total 450 members of toman, the 50 members of mobuis, and the the 300 members from valhalla will all leave. that means toman will shrivel to a mere 100. you sure about this?"

kisaki and mikey argued back and forth, until kisaki tried to approach them, inevitably being stopped by draken.

"who said you could come up here?"

the gasp from the crowd was the only reason draken was prepared for hanma's punch, and was able to block it.

"shut up and let kisaki talk, fucker."

"asshole." even from where she was standing, y/n could see their veins popping out.

after a blur of kisaki shouting meaningless counters at mikey, the meeting was declared over... kisaki was out... had the little team of three succeeded in changing the future? was it finally over?

...

"whew, i'm beat!" mikey stood up, grinning. he had grime and dirt all over his face, so y/n handed him a cloth.

"you've got dirt on your face." she politely notified him. he kindly took it and managed to wipe the one spot that was actually clean.

"did i get it?" he asked.

"mhm." she nodded, deciding it was hopeless to keep going.

"should i call them now?" she asked. chifuyu told her to wait there until the other two boys were finished. they were preparing a surprise for takemichi.

"are you done yet, draken-kun?" she called.

"just a little more." he responded, turning something with a wrench. after another minute of squeaking and clanging, he asked mikey to try the engine. when he turned the key, a low rumbling emitted from the engine, and the boy was smiling from ear to ear.

"it started!"

"alright! we can call him now!" y/n went to her speed dials, then to chifuyu's number. she put the phone to her ear, and gave him the instructions from mikey. he showed up in the garage within no time, hands over takemichi's eyes.

"what's going on?!" he panicked.

"it's fine, it's fine," mikey reassured, " don't let go yet, chifuyu."

"roger that." chifuyu was enjoying this way too much.

"you're really scaring me, guys!"

y/n laughed, and went to stand next to chifuyu. she wanted to see his reaction too.

"okay, on zero, open your eyes." mikey instructed, "three."

chifuyu was looking in awe at the sight before him. there was a slight blush across his cheeks, something that y/n noticed about him when he gets excited. now she couldn't stop smiling - something that happened a lot with chifuyu.

"two." takemichi still looked scared, like he was going to get punched in the face as soon as he opened his eyes (a prank y/n had considered, but refrained from doing so).

"one."

"zero!" he opened his eyes instantly, drinking in the sight of a beautiful motorbike, one similar to mikey's. it looked second hand, but still had a promising shine to it, like all good things do.

"huh? a bike?"

"yeah," mikey smiled softly, "the CB25OT. it's like twins with mine." he gazed fondly at the bike, as if it was a child that he was giving away.

"my bro found the engines in the philippines a while back. me and ken-chin have been gathering parts for this one for a while, and we finally finished it!"

"wow! that's so cool!" takemichi gasped.

"right?... it's yours now." mikey said, his dark eyes resting kindly on takemichi's.

"pretty hard for our first division captain to look good without a bike." draken spoke up.

"but... giving away a bike that important? to me, of all people?" he was having a hard time accepting it.

"it'd be a waste just to have it on display."

"this is so cool takemichi!!" chifuyu ran up and flung his arm around his friend's shoulder. y/n giggled at him, he was a little boy gawking over a new toy that his friend just got.

when takemichi was pressured into taking it for a ride, y/n found herself wishing she could stay in that moment forever, and never move on. she just wanted to be with her friends and be happy. was that too much to ask?

::::::