Chapter 6

When I got to Aunt Keira and Uncle William's house, I was surprised to find it empty. Hoping they'd just gone to Grandmother's, I started back down the road.

"Hello, Sweetie," Grandmother said when I found her in the kitchen. "What are you up to today?"

"I was looking for Matthew," I said. "I hoped he was here."

"Afraid not. There was some message from the kingdom. I assume it was pretty important. They've all gone for the day, at least."

I frowned. I guess it must have been important for Matthew to go without telling me. I wasn't so jealous of the time he spent with Evie and Lily anymore, but I didn't love it either.

"How about some lunch?" Grandmother asked.

"Sure." I forced a smile for her and sat down at the table.

"Is Aunt Rebecca around?" I asked as she began setting food out. Maybe I could get started on finding out if she knew anything.

She shook her head. "Sorry. She and Michael went off some place. The kids are around here somewhere though. I think Annie's out back if you want to call her."

"That's alright," I said, feeling guilty for making her think I was just using her for information. "I wanted to ask Aunt Rebecca something, but would you mind showing me that fancy stitch you used on Mama's blanket, after lunch?"

"Of course." She nodded, looking pleased. I didn't really care for knitting and it wasn't the way I hoped to spend today, but I was glad I could make Grandmother happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I hadn't really expected Matthew to return today. It was a long trip to the kingdom. They rarely ever went there and returned on the same day. And if something important was happening, they obviously couldn't just turn around and leave once they got there. But I was still disappointed when the only people to show up at Grandmother's were my aunt and uncle. I couldn't even attempt to corner Aunt Rebecca because Uncle Michael was right there. He'd know what I was doing and he'd intervene before his wife could say anything she shouldn't. And since they lived with Grandmother, I couldn't expect him to leave any time soon.

Feeling defeated and a little bit annoyed with Matthew for leaving without telling me, I headed for home. It was still a little on the early side, so at least Papa should be happy.

As I neared the place I'd seen that man in the woods, I tensed and then laughed at myself. I already knew I didn't have to worry about him. He'd probably be long gone by now anyway. I continued on, fighting the irrational urge to get Firethorn running. I would let her run after I proved that the anxiety I felt was nothing more than the result of years of silly concerns from Papa and Matthew.

"Hello!"

Startled, I jumped and clutched the reins a little tighter as I turned to see that same man from earlier. He wasn't quite as far away as before, but still far enough that he'd never be able to get close to me if I didn't want him to.

"Hello," I answered, ignoring the second rush of adrenalin today.

"Did you have a good visit?" the man asked.

"I did," I answered, wondering why he'd assume I was visiting someone rather than having some other purpose for coming and going. It was a little strange, but with the distance between us, I wasn't worried.

"I don't usually see anyone around here," I said, feeling a little more bold. "What have you been doing all day?"

"Just some hunting." I didn't understand his amusement.

"What are you hunting?" I knew I wasn't supposed to, but I pulled Firethorn to a stop, feeling confident in how easily she responded to me. I could get her running in seconds if I needed to.

"Oh, a little of this and a little of that," was his odd answer. "I prefer the more elusive quarry."

I had no idea what he'd be hunting here. There were deer and rabbits and other common things, but those animals hardly qualified as elusive. I got the feeling he was enjoying some joke that I wasn't in on and I decided I didn't like it.

"That's a beautiful animal." He nodded to Firethorn as I was about to get her moving again. "What's his name?"

"Her name is Firethorn," I said, enjoying this topic much more than the previous one. My horse was so pretty with her deep red coat and white socks. She was very smart and very fast.

"Odd name."

"It's a flower."

"Huh. Never heard of it before."

"Not many people have."

He smiled and something felt off. I wasn't sure why. He hadn't moved an inch, but I suddenly felt very uneasy. Firethorn trembled slightly and began grinding her teeth. I'd never notice her do either of those things before and I didn't know why she would now, but between her behavior and the way I felt, I decided it was time to go. Maybe Papa would know what was wrong with her.

"Well, I've got to be going now," I said, tightening my grip on the reins, ready to urge Firethorn to move.

"Don't go," the man said. He began walking toward me and I was no longer under the impression that he was harmless. "We have a lot to discuss still."

Before I could do anything more than turn my head, another man grabbed Firethorn's reins, holding her steady. My heart just about jumped into my throat when I saw the terrifying look in his eye. This was exactly the kind of man I'd always been warned about.

I tried kicking him, but he anticipated it. After easily blocking my attempt, he latched onto my ankle with his free hand. He squeezed so tight, my shoe dug painfully into my leg.

"Let me go!" I shrieked, struggling to shake him off.

The man only laughed.

Despite him holding on to me and the horse, I tried to get Firethorn moving. I kicked her side with my other foot and yelled at her to move. She honestly tried, but that man held firm. All she was able to do was struggle and squeal in anger.

In no time, the first man had reached us and he began pulling me from the saddle. I screamed and clawed at him, seriously regretting not paying better attention when Aunt Keira tried to teach me how to defend myself.

"Let go!" I tried again, struggling and screaming for all I was worth, but it did no good. The men who held me were too strong and no one else was close enough to hear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was so cold. Everything hurt but I couldn't seem to focus long enough to figure out what to do about it. My eyes just wouldn't stay open. When they were, it was too dark to see very much. I wanted to sit up at least, but every time I thought about it my eyes would close against my will and I'd lose more time.

I had no idea how much time passed. Everything was coming in flashes. I'd open my eyes, understand that I was still lying on the ground somewhere, and then fall asleep again. The next time I was aware of anything, it was all the pain that came with moving. My eyes fluttered open as I was being lifted off the ground and into the safety of Papa's arms. They remained open just long enough for him to settle me in his arms and begin walking.

"Papa." I wasn't sure if I managed to get the word out or not. I also wasn't sure if I imagined the tears on his face. I'd never seen him cry before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dreamed I was flying. It wasn't a nice dream at all. I didn't like it. Dreams were supposed to be pleasant. This one was cold and painful. And there was too much crying. I tried to run from the sound, but it followed me. Eventually it stopped and there was nothing. No sound, no light, no pain. Just blackness.