Chapter 9

The next time I opened my eyes, I assumed from the light that it was the following morning. It appeared to be pretty early, but I was surprised. It hadn't been very late when I fell asleep. Apparently I needed a lot of rest.

I wondered how long Mama stayed with me. She was gone and I was lying down. That same man from yesterday was in the chair, across the room.

Matthew, I reminded myself.

He was asleep again. Had he stayed with me all night? Aside from how uncomfortable it looked to be sleeping in that chair, I was surprised that everyone was apparently fine with it. Mama said he was a close friend, but this seemed like a lot for a friend. At least when that friend was a man.

I looked around for a moment and decided to test myself. I lifted my head a bit and then rested it on the pillow again. It still hurt, but not as much. I did similar tests with my arms and legs and got the same result. So I guess I was healing.

Now for the real test. Taking a deep breath, I attempted to sit up. It was a little easier since I knew what to expect and could brace myself, but it also still hurt a lot. I only managed to raise myself an inch or two before I had to give up with a groan.

"Here." Matthew was suddenly beside me. He held a pillow in one hand and reached the other hand to help me up. His sudden nearness made me flinch.

Matthew pulled his hand away, looking hurt.

"Sorry," I said. "I didn't see you come over."

He tried to smile, but it didn't look natural. "I'm sorry I scared you. Can I help you up?"

Forcing my own unnatural smile, I nodded.

He slowly came over and sat me up. He did all the work and it almost didn't hurt at all.

"Thanks," I said after he settled the pillows behind me.

He nodded and pulled the chair beside the bed, the way Mama had before.

"How are you?" he asked after taking a seat.

"A little better, I think. Things don't hurt quite as much."

He nodded again, not seeming to know what to say.

"Have I been sleeping a lot?" I wondered. It seemed like it, but I wasn't the best judge of the situation.

"Kind of." The way his nose wrinkled with his apologetic expression was cute. "You need a lot of rest, but I think the medicine makes it worse."

"What does that mean?"

"It's been about a week." He frowned and I knew it was because he was editing out the words 'since it happened'. "You've been in and out most of the time, but I think yesterday was the first time you were really aware of things."

That last part seemed right at least.

"Have you been here the whole time?"

"Most of it," he said. "I was away at first, but I came here after I got back... and heard."

Heard what exactly? I couldn't ask. I knew it would just upset him and make things even more awkward.

"Why?" I asked.

"Why?" he repeated, sounding confused and a little hurt.

I suppressed a sigh. Everything I said hurt someone's feelings.

"I mean, why did you stay? Have you been here in the room with me all that time?"

"Most of it." He frowned. "Is that okay? Do you want me to stay somewhere else?"