Chapter 24

"I thought you'd still be mad at me," Matthew said, coming to stand beside me as I looked out over the pond.

"I kind of am." I turned to face him. It was so strange to be able to freely appreciate how handsome he was. His eyes were so expressive. Such a beautiful deep brown color and framed by long lashes. I almost hated to pull my gaze away from them, but of course the rest of his face was just as nice to look at.

"Alright..." He was wary, which I couldn't blame him for after yesterday. "What's on your mind?"

"You didn't tell me you weren't my cousin!" I surprised myself by yelling a little bit. But honestly, I was angry about that. All that time, believing it - hating it, and it wasn't true! I wanted to stamp my foot, but figured that'd look a little too childish. Instead I crossed my arms and scowled up at him.

Matthew looked baffled for a moment and then he burst out laughing. "Why would I tell you we weren't cousins?"

"Because we're not!" Why didn't he understand?

He chuckled again. "No one ever said that we were. Is that what you thought all this time?"

My face burned when I realized he was right. No one ever told me anything like that. I just assumed it was fact and now I was yelling at him for not correcting the assumptions I never told him I'd made. Closing my eyes, I slapped my hand to my forehead, knowing how stupid I sounded.

"Ella." Matthew pulled my hand away and made me look at him. I didn't appreciate the entertained expression so much. "I have no idea why you'd think that, but no, we're not cousins. We're not related at all."

"I realize that now," I grumbled. "But you could have told me that your parents weren't my real aunt and uncle. You knew I didn't have a clue who anyone was."

He still looked like he wanted to laugh, but he refrained. "You're right. I should have been more clear. It just never occurred to me that you'd come to that conclusion. You've called them aunt and uncle your whole life."

It was an understandable oversight, but still embarrassing.

"And by the way, don't ever let my mother hear you say she's not your real aunt."

I couldn't help a small smile at that.

"Is that what you wanted to talk about? I'm surprised Lily and Evie didn't fill you in. I nearly had a heart attack when I got Evie's message. I was sure something was wrong."

"I'm sorry you worried," I said. "And they did explain. Well, mostly. But..." I was suddenly nervous again.

Based on his almost smirk, I guessed that he expected me to say something equally as entertaining as before.

"Who are you to me, Matthew?" I forced myself to ask, finding it hard to hold his gaze. When he didn't answer, I looked up again to find that all trace of amusement had vanished from his face.

"You know who I am, Ella," he tried to avoid answering just like Evie and Lily predicted. But why?

"No," I disagreed. "I know that you're my best friend and that you're not my cousin, but there's more. I know there is." There had to be.

He stared at me for a long moment. It was one of those looks that would have frustrated me before. Now I was far more intrigued by it.

"What do you know?" he challenged looking a little mischievous.

My eyes narrowed and I raised my chin. Okay fine. If he wanted to do this.

"I know that you've been with me every day since I woke up. I know that you know me like no one else does. I know that I trust you and I feel safe with you in a way I don't with anyone else. I know that you're a part of me and that I can't imagine ever being without you. I know you're jealous when I even talk with another man. I know you buy me expensive little figurines just to see my face light up." I took his hand and moved to stand in front of him.