Chapter 7

I awoke in a pool of warm sunshine. Enjoying the pleasant warmth, I turned my face toward the window and frowned when I realized I wasn't alone. There was a man sitting across the room. He was leaning against the wall, sound asleep.

I watched him for a moment, puzzling over why he was there. Whoever he was, he was very handsome. I guessed he was probably tall too. His reddish brown hair was a little messy, but I liked it. It was endearing. I smiled, hearing his soft snoring and wondered who he was.

Looking around, I realized I must be in my bedroom. Was it normal for this man to be in my room with me? I had no idea.

I moved to sit up, crying out when I realized how much it hurt to do that. It wasn't just one place either. It was all over. Collapsing back onto the pillow, I put a hand to my head, which now felt like it might explode, either before or after I threw up. In another second, I realized my wrist was wrapped up, and I pulled it away to examine it.

"Ella."

Startled, I dropped my hand and looked at the man who wasn't sleeping anymore. He was right beside me. Gently, he touched the hand I'd just let fall back to my lap. I wasn't sure what he was doing. He looked like he was about to cry and I didn't know why. Instinctively I wanted to comfort him, but I didn't know him, so I didn't move.

"How do you feel?" he asked, sounding like he didn't feel too good himself.

"Everything hurts," I said honestly. Maybe he was a doctor?

He closed his eyes for a moment and when he opened them again, they were wet with tears. He lifted my hand in his. "I'm so sorry," he choked out. "I should have been there."

His words didn't make sense. Where should he have been? I watched, confused and a little frightened as he kissed my hand. It was too much. I didn't know him and I didn't like this. I pulled my hand away and hugged myself, not understanding why he looked hurt when I did.

"Are you a doctor?" I wondered. I didn't think doctors kissed people's hands, but what did I know, really?

He looked startled and confused. Well, that made two of us.

"Ella, it's me. Matthew."

He said it like I should know him, but I didn't. Ella felt a little wrong too, but I knew that was me. I didn't know what I was supposed to say to him though, so I just watched him, hoping he'd go away.

"You don't..." He was bewildered and sad. "You don't remember? Me?"

As much as I didn't like this, I didn't want to upset him either. As I continued to stare at him, I tried to remember. That only made me aware of the pounding in my head. Groaning, I covered my eyes with my hands.

When I lowered my hands again, there were more people in the room. Nervously, I looked between them, wondering what they all wanted.

"Ella, Sweetie," the crying dark haired woman had replaced the man, Matthew beside me. Another man was on my other side. They were both crouched down, leaning onto the bed a bit. A third man stood closer to the door, near the first one. They were all watching me, either looking sad or serious. They were too close and too focused on me. I just wanted them to go away.

When the woman touched my face, my eyes filled with tears and I pulled away. I wanted to get up and run, but I knew it would hurt. I wasn't even sure I'd be able to.

The woman reacted like I'd hit her. Stunned and confused, she pulled her hand back and looked at the older man by the door.

"Give her some room," he said, and thankfully everyone moved away from me. They all hovered by the door as the older man moved to the foot of the bed.