Chapter 12

Two days later, I was sitting beside Matthew and opposite Doctor Collins as we travelled to the kingdom. It was bumpy and uncomfortable, so the pain medication Doctor Collins gave me was only sort of helping, but I was still pretty excited. I suppose I must have taken trips like this since Matthew said I'd visited the kingdom before, but I wasn't sure how you could ever get used to it. I spent a good portion of the trip, staring at everything flying by out the window. It was even more impressive when we reached the kingdom. Everything was just so big. I'd had an idea of what the kingdom might look like in my head, but my imagination hadn't done it justice. We passed hundreds of buildings and even more people, and we were only driving through a small section of the kingdom. I could see roads in every direction with just as much traffic and just as many houses. And the shops! What in the world were they all for? I suppose with so many people, there would be a need for more than one place for shoes or whatever other supplies a person might need, but still!

Matthew laughed at my amazement. "We can go exploring sometime," he said and then looked at Doctor Collins. "That's alright, isn't it?"

"If Ella wants to go, yes, it's fine."

I beamed, thrilled at the prospect.

"I'll show you that shop I told you about," he promised.

He meant to make me happy, and he did, but at the same time I was a little sad at the reminder that his thoughtful gifts were not gestures from a boyfriend, but a best friend. Of course, it was still sweet, so I nodded and didn't let my smile appear to be anything less than genuine.

Before long, we'd passed through an enormous gate and onto an extensive driveway. I stared, astonished, at the mansion that was our destination. Again, Matthew laughed at me.

"One family lives here?" I asked in wonder. It looked as though an entire village could comfortably fit inside it with plenty of space left over.

"It's pretty typical of upper class homes," Matthew said. "You should see Evie's house." He smirked.

He mentioned Evie before, but I wasn't sure what he thought was funny. At the moment, I couldn't think about it too deeply. I was busy focusing on the fact that I was supposed to live in this ridiculously large place and that I'd actually be expected to get around it, presumably on my own.

The carriage traveled along the path and I wondered when we drove around to the back of the enormous house, rather than stopping at the front.

Seeing my confusion, Doctor Collins said, "too many steps out front. The back entrance will be easier."

I was grateful for his consideration. Normally he pushed me to get exercise and not always take the easiest way, but just now, I was very tired and sore from the ride.

When the driver finally pulled the horses to a stop, I began feeling anxious. Up until this point, I knew I was going to be staying with strangers, but all I really thought of was the excitement of the trip and being free of all the pressure from the last several weeks. Now I was nervous about meeting new people and asking so much of them.

The men got down from the carriage and then Matthew helped me down. I became grateful all over again for Doctor Collins' consideration in not making me walk up all those stairs. Moving after sitting so long made the pain medication a distant memory.

"You okay?" Matthew asked after I groaned.

I nodded. "Yeah. It doesn't feel great, but I'm fine."

It was gratifying when he simply accepted my words without even looking like he didn't believe me.

"Matthew." An older blonde woman appeared beside him and touched his shoulder.