1

Strolling down the sidewalk wasn't considered wise when it came to being a woman, especially one as vulnerable as her. But she tried not to think twice about it. Instead, she rose her head with enough confidence to hide her fear, as though a predator watching would find it threatening.

Glancing around the empty streets, her eyes met a flash of light from a moving car. The four wheeler sped past her with haste, as though she was almost invisible in the dimness of the night sky. But she definitely wasn't.

Lorelei tugged on the sash of her overcoat. The day had been long, and the night was even longer. A strained breath left her rose colored lips. Those puffy cushions, on her face, trembled as the wind almost swept her off of her feet.

"I must be lost," with an intake of breath, her eyes continued to wander over the streets. They fell upon the sign plastered across the centre of a building, and relief filled her chest, "well, I guess not."

Taking a few seconds to get her thoughts in order, she headed towards the pub. She wasn't a woman to ever set foot in a place like that, especially when it was frowned upon.

Women weren't expected to grab a pint and chat up with others, whilst their families were at home waiting for them. That was reserved only for men. And Lorelei was no exception when it came to the social construct of society. She'd abided by the ridiculous expectations of women all her life. But with desperation, she had no other choice but to enter the dainty, poorly lit place, in search of someone who could change her life.

As much as she wanted to run in the opposite direction, she focused her eyes intently in front of her. The solemn curve of her lips begged for no attention. Her hair was pulled into a boring ponytail, and face lacked any sort of enhancements. She made sure that she didn't allow her appearance to draw any unnecessary attention, not that it took much effort.

At the dignified age of eighteen, Lorelei found herself out of any other option. She had to meet the mysterious man who she'd been told about. Maybe he could help her to be free of the predicament that she'd been in.

Heads turned as she walked through the door. The rusty appearance of the exterior was unlike the interior of the place. The pub was graced with finely crafted booths. And the bar held more alcohol than her father's liquor-filled stomach.

Slow jazz music lightened the heaviness of the stares. She glanced around almost hesitantly, afraid to meet the cold eyes of a man.

Lorelei slowly felt her hope faltering. What am I doing? No woman would put herself in a situation like that, especially one who couldn't defend herself in the slightest. Lowering her eyes to the floor, a shard of glass caught her attention. Kicking it with the tip of her flats, a voice boomed in her ear. She could feel the breath against her skin, sending chills down her spine.

"Honey, yah gotta be lost. Women aren't welcomed round ere."

Lorelei flinched. Her voice feared to be heard. But she pushed the fear away, and allowed her soft tone of voice to say something, "I'm looking for Mr. Pension."

Her jaw trembled, as he looked at her with serious, stone cold eyes. He could possibly see her fear from up close.

"He's not ere. Now scurry long," her hand formed into a fist, as his ragged voice spat against her flushed neck. Lorelei gritted her teeth and stepped backward, creating much needed space between them.

"Are you sure?" Her voice held much more strength that time. His eyes lightened with amusement, as though she'd enacted something worth smiling about.

"What business yah tending to? Maybe I'll give a message," Lorelei took another step back, including a glance around the room. Men looked at her with curiosity in their eyes, probably wondering what a young woman like her was doing in there so late at night.