13

Two Weeks Later

Lorelei was fitting in quite well with Raven at the pub. The men looked at her with more respect, as she strutted in for the mornings, and out in the afternoons. They'd tip their hats off to her, and gave her a welcoming smile, mostly because they were obeying Raven's request to make her feel comfortable.

Raven quickly taught her how to order products and make notes for every sale and delivery. The weekend approaching, they were going to head to the vineyard, where he'd show her how their finest blends were produced.

"How are you feeling?" Raven asked, as he brought her a cup of tea. He'd setted up a little desk for her beside his, so that they'd be able to work together.

"Much better. Thank you," she leaned the cup against her lips, as he watched carefully. She really is beautiful.

Clearing his throat, he leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. A sharp, piercing voice stumbled into the pub. They became alarmed and Raven got up to check what the commotion was all about.

"Stay here," she stood behind the door, as Raven made his way towards the racket.

"Just the lad I be looking for," Boris reeked of cheap whiskey, and funky perfume. He'd probably been over at Ginsen's enjoying booze and girls all week.

"What are you doing here?" Raven crossed his arms against his chest.

Boris smiled deviously, and shrugged, as though anything he'd say would be considered for discussion, "since yah got my two daughters, I haven't had anyone to cook or clean, and it's been draining me, yah know," did he expect Raven to be sympathetic?

"And why is that my concern?" Boris' jaw twitched.

"Maybe cause I can take them back whenever I deem fit," Raven looked at Rutter, and lifted his chin, calling him over. Rutter was about twice the size of Boris, and a lot meatier.

"I don't think you can," Raven replied calmly, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

"They're mine. Unless you give me a substantial amount every, say, every week. I'll take them back."

"We've already made a deal. Are you sure you're going to risk it?" Lorelei approached them, standing a few feet behind Raven. She seemed so shaken—becoming that extremely fragile girl again by just the presence of her father.

"Oh ere, she is," Boris tried to walk over to Lorelei, but Raven stepped in his way.

"You should keep your distance," Raven advised. Boris' breath blasted reek onto his face, causing him to be disgusted by the air that he was breathing.

"I see that you really like my daughter," he looked at her, then down at the floor, "yah know that there's a thing called dowry, right?"

"You're unbelievable," Rutter grabbed him by his shoulders, and pulled him back, "there's no need for that, since your daughter and I are just friends."

"Sure, yah are," Boris spatted, as he was dragged out of the pub. Raven turned to Lorelei to find tears in her eyes.

"Are you okay, darling?" She shook her head, and looked around the room, finding faces looking directly at them.

Lorelei placed her hands over her face and ran to the back of the pub, the same place where the men would take a smoke or two in between drinks.

"Lorelei," Raven ran after her, "I'm so sorry, darling," he caught up to her, as she wiped big tears away.

"Can you hold me for a bit, please?" Without thought, Raven pulled her into his arms. Her tears stained his shirt, but that didn't matter to him.

Having her so close made his entire body become alarmed—the same way he'd felt many nights pining over girls that he could never have.

"I don't want him to hit me again," she mumbled, as she pulled back. Raven placed a delicate kiss on her forehead, causing her cheeks to heat up.

"I won't let him ever again, darling, i promise, okay?" She nodded, almost believing it.

"Thank you," she whispered, as she pulled him closer again. Raven ran his hand up her back soothingly, and hers gripped his shoulders.

"I'll do everything I can to ensure that you're safe," he inhaled a breath, "don't worry."