7

When Lorelei knocked on Papa Colt's door, she felt worried. What if he's busy?

"I'm coming, darling," his footsteps neared the door, before he opened it, "let's go, shall we?" The two girls followed him down the staircase and towards his car.

"You have one too?" Hallie asked, as they slid into the back seat.

"Sure do. I can't be waiting around for Raven's, can I?" He reversed onto the road and began his drive to Sally Mae's diner.

"Ya'll hungry? Cause I'm starving," they didn't answer, "we'll get something to eat before we head over to Tim Taylor's place."

"Okay," Lorelei felt uneasy. They were being too nice to them. No one's that caring, right?

"Raven can be quite odd at times. And he just shows off a hard exterior, even though he's a softie on the inside," Papa Colt gripped the steering wheel, "after his momma, then his sister passed away, he hasn't been very open with anyone. Heck, he's never been anything close to flamboyant."

"He's different," Lorelei commented. A good kind of different, "it's refreshing, I think."

"That boy's the only thing I've got left in this world. You look out for him, right? If anything seems odd, just let me know, will yah?" Lorelei wondered why he was asking a woman to look out for his son. That was odd in itself.

"I promise."

"Thanks, darling. I'm just glad he's got some company now. Savannah's always up the hills and back running behind all these boys. God Bless that girl that she'll find a husband soon, cause she really seems to want one."

"There's lots of talk about Savannah and Raven. Raven's confirmed that they're not true."

"Damn right, they ain't. Savannah's like a sister to that boy. Her momma and his momma were real close back in the day," Lorelei pressed her lips together and looked at the road as they drove by. Everyone in town must have already known that she'd moved in with the Pensions.

"I guess it's just unusual for a boy and girl to hang out like they do," indeed it was.

"I dislike that kind of mentality. Boys and girls should be allowed in the same social groups, but most people in town have a different opinion."

Hallie's head popped out of the car, as they passed the candy store. Lisser's Candy Corner was every kid's happy place in town, but without dollars in your pockets, you weren't allowed in. She frowned as they drove further up the street, the shop no longer in eyesight. Lorelei weakly smiled at her sister and pulled her closer.

"I think the entire world's like that. At least from what I know."

He pulled over beside the diner, "let's head in, shall we?"

"I'm hungry too," Hallie placed her hand in Papa Colt's, as they headed inside. Heads turned, and Sally Mae had her arms crossed over her chest behind the counter.

"And when I thought you found somewhere else to grab your grub," she smiled at Papa Colt. It had been almost twelve years since she'd been trying to persuade him to take her out for a late night drink, but he'd always refused.

"Just been busy, but these young girls gotta get something in their tummy's soon. What's your special today?"

Sally Mae quirked her brow at Lorelei, "we've got the usual eggs, bacon, pancakes, and I've made some pumpkin soup today."

"What tickles your tummies, girls?" Hallie considered it for a moment, before answering.

"Pancakes?" She mumbled.

"Anything with your pancakes?" He could see that she was holding back.

"Bacon, please," she smiled shyly.

"Now, how about you Lorelei? You gotta eat something."

"A soup will be fine," Lorelei took Hallie's hand.

"So you two gonna eat, but not drink anything? What kind of breakfast is that?" Papa Colt shook his head and turned to Sally Mae, "they're just shy," he waved his hand in the air, "I'll have the soup, bacon and eggs. And bring a pitcher of your coldest orange juice, will yah?"

"No problem, hun. Coming right up," Sally Mae winked at him, and turned away.

"Let's grab a booth?" He headed over to a vacant booth, and the two girls followed, "Raven's dealing with some business issues right now. But he's given me specific instructions, that boy," Papa Colt scoffed, "he even wrote down a list for me, as though I'm a forgetful, old toad."

He took the paper out of his pocket and fixed his glasses on his nose, "we have to do all of that today?" Hallie looked curiously at the paper.

"Yeah, else he'll have me by my head.  Now, you two girls need a few things, don't yah? I've never been one to shop around for lady essentials, but I can drive you there and you two choose whatever you need, okay?"

"That's not necessary," Lorelei bit down on her bottom lip nervously.

"No, no. If you're gonna work with us, you need to buy some stuff for yourself. It's a command, Lorelei. No ifs and buts."

"Okay," Lorelei's chest tightened. They're doing so much for us.

"He wanted me to discuss your salary," Papa Colt placed the paper back into his pocket, "we're not stingy people, and we provide food and everything you need. So what you earn is to do whatever else with."

"I don't know what to say, you two have been so nice to us," Lorelei felt herself becoming emotional.

"Darling, you deserve some kindness in your path. Just try to be happy, okay?"

"Okay," she inhaled a breath, and for the first time in a while, she sincerely smiled.