4

Hallie had never seen so much food all at once. She waited patiently at the table, hoping that she'd at least get to taste a slice of roasted chicken.

"At least your excessive cooking came in useful for once, Paps," Papa Colt looked around the table, and inhaled a deep breath. The only other person who'd sat with them for dinner was Savannah, and that's only because Raven had known that girl since childhood. When it came to dinner parties, Raven always refused to take part, and to see two young girls there, made Papa Colt wonder.

"I like to make a feast, lad. You know that," Raven could see Hallie's eyes on the chicken, and decided to cut her a slice.

"Would you like some gravy with that?" Hallie nodded and picked up her fork.

"Just chicken and gravy, darling? You don't like green beans?" Papa Colt chuckled.

"She doesn't," Lorelei hadn't touched anything. Papa Colt passed her the mashed potatoes.

"Take out some potatoes for you and her. I make the best mash in town, don't I, lad?" He looked at his son.

"That's what you like to believe, Paps," Hallie placed her small hand on Raven's arm. He looked at her and noticed the gravy smeared across her lips, as she tried to lick it off.

"Another slice, please?" She tilted her chin towards the chicken.

"Of course, darling. Anything else you'd like?" Raven then looked at Lorelei, as she slowly dished out some green beans onto her plate.

"Here you go," he placed a leg quarter onto her plate, hoping that she'd be able to eat it. It was quite a large piece.

"Thank you," she pulled on the skin with her fork, before taking a sip of her water.

"What's your name, darling?" Raven looked up from his plate. He hadn't even asked them their names.

"Lorelei, and she's Hallie," Hallie didn't look up.

"Lovely names. Raven's named after his momma's favourite ornament," he pointed to the cabinet beside the table, "don't know why that woman liked a Raven so much."

Lorelei wiped her lips with her index finger, "momma wanted that thing buried with her, didn't she?"

The table fell silent, as Papa Colt inhaled a deep breath, "I miss your momma everyday, lad."

"Me too, Paps," Raven placed his fork down and looked at the cabinet for a few moments. It held all the knick-knacks that his mother loved so dearly.

"What about you, Lorelei, what's your momma's prized possession?"

"Me?" Hallie's big eyes flutter, "I think it's me."

"I bet that's the truth, darling. But I'm talking about an item. Of course she loved you more than anything in the world."

"There's this vase. But it's broken now," Lorelei rubbed the side of her neck with the palm of her hand. Papa Colt noticed a bruise right where her hand was, and leaned back.

"I see. Raven tells me that your daddy's a troublemaker. I'd like for you to know that you're safe here, okay?"

"Okay," she didn't seem to believe it. Raven and Papa Colt looked at the two of them and sighed.

"No one messes around Papa Colt, not even a big, bad daddy. I swear to it, darling."

Hallie shifted in her seat and sucked in her bottom lip, "you won't let him hit us?" Her voice was so broken.

"He won't get another chance," Papa Colt assured, and placed his hand upon his chest.