25

One week turned into a month without a word from Savannah. Preparations were being made for the wedding, and Raven was uncertain about everything.

Even though he knew that he was making the right choice, he still worried about Savannah's feelings towards everything. They didn't even get the chance to talk properly before she disappeared.

"You okay, lad?" Papa Colt lit a cigar and leaned against the doorframe. The night was darker than usual, and the stars were brighter.

"Yeah."

"You sure?" Raven huffed out a breath and looked at the dark sky.

"Just wondering if I'm making the right choice."

"I think you are," Papa Colt took a deep breath, "you two are good together."

Raven wasn't too sure. He really wanted to talk to Savannah. Marrying Lorelei just wouldn't feel right without Savannah's consent.

"Paps," Hallie walked up behind Papa Colt, with her teddy bear pressed against her chest. He looked down at the little girl and smiled, "can you read me a bedtime story?"

"Sure thing, darling," he defused his cigar and ushered her into her bedroom. Raven crossed his arms, almost mistaking Hallie for his little sister. Raven could remember all the nights Papa Colt stayed up late, when his kids were young, just to read one story over and over again.

* * *
Raven felt tense, as he looked at the letter in front of him. He wished Savannah had the guts to tell him everything in person instead, but she decided to write a letter.

Raven, you've always been my only true friend over the years, and I wish you all of the happiness in the world. Now that you've found someone who deserves your heart, please take care of her...

I'm not coming back to town. It's time for me to find my place in this world, and sadly, that means you might never see me again. I don't know if you'll ever understand why I've made this decision, but it's the best one for all of us.

Love her with every fiber in your being, and I know she'll reciprocate those emotions as well. Don't let her go, she's a good one. And you need her and much as she needs you. Be strong, and be a good man.

With Love,
Savannah.

* * *

Lorelei also received a letter from Savannah. She wasn't sure if she should cry, smile or be angry.

Lorelei, from the first time I saw you, I knew that you're special. It's not only about how gorgeous you are, but the wonders behind your eyes cause my heart to flutter. I never got around to writing that poem for you, and may never will. Thinking about you causes me to feel too much and I know that it's wrong.

I want the best for you, and I know that Raven can give you everything that I can't. You and Hallie deserve a good life, and I wish I could be the one to give that to you, but sadly, I can only cause pain.

A woman is not suppose to love a woman... but I don't regret ever falling for you. Please take care of yourself. You won't see me again. It's the best choice for all of us.

With Love,
Savannah.

Lorelei wasn't sure if her heart was still beating. She loves me. Running her fingers through her blonde hair, she sat back, and closed her eyes. It's for the best. Even as the tears streamed down her cheeks, she knew that she wouldn't change it—more so, she couldn't. She needed to make the right choice—and everyone knew that it was Raven.