15

"Dinner smells heavenly," Papa Colt entered the kitchen, his tummy rumbling.

"Thanks. I'll be done shortly," he took a seat on the chair beside the fridge and placed his hand over his stomach. He hadn't had a woman cook a meal for him since his wife passed. And back then, he did most of the cooking, not that any of his friends knew. They would have laughed at him, but Papa Colt didn't mind standing in front of the fire and whipping up something scrumptious to eat.

"Take your time, darling. Where's the little one anyway?" He looked around the kitchen for Hallie.

"She's probably playing with her toys," Lorelei answered, as she stirred the sauce.

"When she's about eight or so, I'd like for her to start taking Miss Muriel's classes," the spoon nearly slipped out of her hand.

"Really?" Miss Muriel was the only woman in town with a substantial education. She tutored mostly boys in Mathematics and English.

"Yes. I think she has a fair shot at becoming something great. By the time she grows up, it might finally be time for girls to take a shining as much as boys," that was hopeful of him.

"I don't know what to say. It's—"

"A great idea? It's good to start young. Maybe she'll be able to help out you and Raven with the business even. You never know," Papa Colt chuckled.

"Why are you two so nice to us? Sometimes I don't understand it," Lorelei wiped her forehead with the back of her palm, and turned the fire down on low.

"Honestly, darling, you remind me of Raven's momma," Papa Colt leaned back and took a deep breath, "her folks weren't what you call good parents. Her momma allowed her daddy to do some bad things to her, things I wouldn't say in front of even Raven."

Lorelei pressed her lips together and looked at the simmering sauce. She felt her tension rise and heart fall inside of her chest.

"You know?" She almost choked on her words. She'd never told anyone, not even Hallie knew.

"Darling, that type of fear that you have for him is something deeper than just physical abuse. That's why I'm doing everything I can to keep him away from you."

"You care that much about me?" Papa Colt looked at the tear that drizzled down Lorelei's cheek.

"Of course, I do. Raven does too."

"Does he know that—" she gritted her teeth.

"No. I doubt he does. But he's trying to do whatever it takes to keep you and Hallie safe and happy. You bet your bottom that, that man will never lay a finger on you again."

Papa Colt stood and turned off the fire, "I think I need to sit for a bit."

He held her hand, as she sat down on the chair that he was sitting on, "just breathe. Everything will be okay."

"Are you sure about that?" Lorelei's eyes shedded enough tears to fill a puddle.

"Yes, I'm certain."