5

Raven took a shower, and made sure to get dressed in the bathroom. He respected that there were two girls in the house, and didn't want to make them uncomfortable. When he walked out, with his comfy pajamas on, he noticed Hallie on her bedroom floor playing with the cooking set.

He leaned against the doorframe and overlooked the little girl, remembering the days when his sister would stir that pot as though it had actual produce inside.

Papa Colt was already in bed, probably knocked out from counting the sheeps like he usually did to fall asleep. And Lorelei was probably putting away her things, hopefully without overthinking everything.

"Raven?" Hallie looked up, and gestured her hand for him to step inside, "do you wanna play with me?"

Raven sighed and plopped down onto the floor. He hadn't touched those toys in ages, "my favorite's the frying pan. I love to cook some bacon and eggs."

Hallie handed him the spatula and pulled all of the teddybears around her closer, "I asked my papa to buy me one of these. He never did," she continued to move around everything, surrounding herself with various stuffed animals, and even a little dollhouse.

"Well then, it's yours now, isn't it?" Hallie smiled widely.

"I guess it is. Thank you."

"No need to thank me, darling. Just be a little girl for as long as you can," Raven stood and took one glance at Hallie, "I'm off to bed now, goodnight. Don't stay up too late, alright?"

"I won't," Raven headed towards his room, but not before spotting Lorelei sitting on her bed. She seemed sad, so he decided to check in on her.

"You okay, darling? Need anything?" She looked up and shook her head, "mind if I come in?"

He walked inside and leaned forward to lift her chin, but she turned away, allowing him to see the bruise on her neck. Placing the pad of his thumb over it, he caressed softly.

"Do you have any ointment, possibly?" She flinched, and he immediately removed his thumb.

"I think so," Raven pressed his lips together and walked over to the dresser. He picked up a small, glass jar and opened it, before slipping his fingers inside, "this is my Paps special ointment. Heals bruises in the blink of an eye."

"I hope it does. They really hurt," Raven held the jar against his side and looked at her, rubbing his ointment coated fingers together.

"Where else hurts?" He slowly stepped closer and placed his cool fingers against her neck, before rubbing as gently as possible.

"Lots of places," she attempted to take the jar from him but he shook his head, "you don't have to do it for me. I can manage."

"You're hurt. Let me help you," Raven sat down beside her and placed the jar onto the bed, "show me where else? My eyes only see bruises, nothing else, I promise," he assured, as she raised her leg, hiking her dress mid-thigh.

"I'm sorry. I just don't allow men to touch me like this," her voice was low, and Raven ignored how unorthodox it was for him to help her like that.

"I don't look at women like that, darling. You don't have to worry."

"You don't?" Raven dipped his fingers into the jar and lifted her leg onto his lap, "are you a... a..."

"Homosexual?" She bit down harshly on her bottom lip, "just because I respect women doesn't mean I prefer men."

He took her hands in his, and looked at them. They were soft, but slightly hardened by hard work. To have calloused hands at such a young age meant that she'd been on her hands and feet for a while.

"You're marrying Savannah Kingsley, right? That's the rumor through town."

"So I've heard," Raven checked her other leg for any marks, and found more than he'd expected. Her father beats her like a punching bag, "it's not true. Savannah's just a really good friend of mine."

Lorelei wasn't buying it. There was too much talk through town about the two of them. They even did things that couples did together. She'd expect them to be in a relationship, anyone would.

"Ever courted a girl then?" Raven pursed his lips, and placed her feet onto the floorboard.

"A few times. But they never got anywhere, I'd say. I bet you've heard rumors about that too, haven't you?"

Lorelei nodded, "they say that you're a heartbreaker, I believe."

"I just haven't found what I want, and that's why I've been single," Lorelei took a deep breath. Her body felt so weak, "if you have any aches elsewhere, the ointment is right here for your use," Raven suspected that she might have bruises on her upper thighs, chest and back as well. But he wouldn't let his hands roam that far.

"Thank you, Mr. Pension. All that you're doing means a lot."

"Don't stress it. Just give me a holler if you need anything," Lorelei watched as Raven disappeared out of eyesight, her heart fluttering inside of her chest