11

Raven leaned back against his headboard and ran his fingers through the doll's hair. His sister loved that thing more than anything in the world.

"Lad, can I come in?" Papa Colt knocked on the door worriedly.

"Yeah, Paps," he placed the doll down and looked at his father walk into his room, "everything okay?"

"Yeah, just thought I'd check in on you," Papa Colt noticed the doll and picked it up, "she loved playing dress up with this lil thing here."

"Yeah, she did," Raven sighed and leaned forward. He felt utterly drained and exhausted.

"I miss them everyday, lad."

"Me too, Paps," Papa Colt placed his hand on Raven's shoulder and pulled him closer.

"So this girl. You like her, huh?" Raven shrugged. It was the last thing on his mind. Lorelei didn't seem to need excess worries on her shoulders, especially when it came to feelings.

"She's nice. But no, I don't think so."

"You sure about that? I've seen the way you look at her," Raven rested the doll onto his nightstand and sighed.

"I barely know the girl, Paps."

"I like her. She might be good for you, and she could use a decent home, I'd say. Think about it and we'll ask her if she'd agree to marry you."

Raven inhaled a deep breath. He didn't want to marry Lorelei. It would seem as though that's the only reason he was helping her out, which wasn't true.