23

Raven buried himself in work at the pub. He didn't feel like heading home that night, but his brain needed a rest, before it completely shut down.

After showering, and getting under the covers, he leaned his head back against the headboard and closed his eyes. What if they love each other?

He couldn't see that working out. It would be the strangest thing, wouldn't it?

* * *
Papa Colt had given Savannah a ride home. Her parents weren't too thrilled that she'd stayed out so long, but knew that she was always safe at Raven's place.

"Honey, we should talk," Peter, Savannah's father, leaned against the doorframe of her bedroom. She'd been busy writing, and didn't want to be interrupted.

"Yeah?" She didn't even look up from her notepad, instead, she gave him a dismissive wave. Peter sighed, and took a seat at the edge of her bed.

"It's about the Pensions."

She already assumed what the conversation was about. It wasn't the first time that her father wanted to discuss what was going on between her and Raven. And time and time again, she'd tell him the truth, but he never seemed to fully believe it.

"We've spoken about this before, daddy," she was in no mood to get into it. Why must he always try to tamper with her innocent friendship? Was it so impossible for a man and woman to just be bestfriends?

"We have? I've spoken to Papa Colt, and he thinks that there is a wedding in the making," Savannah groaned. Even Papa Colt is thinking like that?

"There's not!" She snapped, pushing her notepad away, her eyes wide and alarming.

"Why are you getting so worked up?" He narrowed his eyes, "I thought you'd be happy that he's finally found a girl. Don't you like her?" Savannah became extremely confused.

"What girl?" Her brain thumped and pulse quickened.

"Lorelei, ain't it?" Savannah felt the blood from her cheeks wash away like the tide on a beach. She wasn't sure if she should break down in tears at that moment or fake a smile as usual.

"Oh, right. They're getting married?"

"Seemingly. You didn't know?" She shook her head and bit down on her bottom lip, trying to hold back her tears, "honey, what's wrong?" He could see the distress on her face. It worried him.

"Nothing. Nothing at all," she stretched out her legs and grabbed a pillow to hold against her chest.

"I'm pretty sure you have feelings for Raven. You can tell me if you do."

"No, daddy. Raven's just my best friend."

"Then what is it?" He searched for her eyes, but they were covered with frustrated tears. Peter moved closer, and wrapped his arms around her soothingly.

"It's nothing, daddy," she couldn't suck it up anymore. Her eyes watered worse than when her grandmother died, and she loved that woman more than anything in the world.

* * *
"Why didn't you tell me?" Savannah's face was hot and red. She'd never felt her anger boil like it did that day.

"Tell you what?" Raven narrowed his eyes, as he wiped the bar's countertop. He'd never seen Savannah so worked up, and it seemed as though she'd been crying all night.

"Don't do that," she gritted her teeth, "I thought we told each other everything!" She threw her hands into the air.

"Is this about Lorelei?" He knew it had to be. What else was there?

"Yes! How could you!"

"What did I do!" He threw the rag down in exasperation, "you're the one who's in love with her!" Savannah looked as though she'd seen a ghost. Shifting on her side, she looked at Raven with those sorrowful eyes. Raven wasn't sure before, but looking at Savannah, he finally was, "oh my god," he placed his hands on top of his head.

"I, I don't. That's ridiculous."

"Then why are you yelling at me?"

"Because you didn't tell me that you're marrying her," Raven was puzzled. The tears that streamed down Savannah's cheeks made his heart hurt excruciatingly.

"Where did you hear that from?" Even though he had feelings for Lorelei, he didn't think about marriage yet.

"Paps told daddy," she sniffled, "is it true, Raven?"

He shook his head, "no, it isn't," he bit down on the inside of his cheek.

"Then why would Paps say that?" Her voice was soft, and weak. She wanted to collapse onto the floor and just lay there forever, so that she wouldn't have to deal with how her heart was aching.

"I don't know. I'll have to ask him," Savannah dropped her eyes to the floor. Was it her fault? Did she push them together? She knew that Raven also had feeling for Lorelei. Did Lorelei have feelings for Raven?

Her stomach tightened, "do you, do you love her?" Her lips quivered.

Raven hesitated. He wanted to answer truthfully, but feared that he would hurt his friend. His love was right, and he knew that Savannah's love was wrong. No one would accept two women loving each other, that's for sure.

"I do," he whispered, his heart clenching. He couldn't believe that he said it outloud. It made his feelings real and unavoidable.

The look on Savannah's face caused regret to surface in his thoughts. He didn't want to hurt his best friend, but he couldn't say that he was doing anything wrong.

She didn't say another word, instead, she stormed out of the pub with the weight of the world on her shoulders.