12

"Raven?" Hallie ran over to him, as he walked past her room, "are you okay?"

"Of course, darling," he ran his fingers through her hair. Lorelei had been scrubbing the walls since daybreak. When he spotted her on an old paint bucket, trying to reach the ceiling, he immediately ran over to her.

"Morning, Raven," she huffed out a breath. It was only 8:00 and she was already exhausted.

"You're going to break a limb. Come down," he ordered, and led her over to a chair.

"It's all good. I just wanted to get a head start on work," she wiped her forehead with the back of her palm.

"No, no, the doctor's coming over today. You rest until I tell you not to, okay?" Lorelei inhaled deeply.

"Okay. Hallie are you ready for me to take you to school?"

"Yes," she felt so proud in her new clothes. The other kids wouldn't laugh at her anymore.

"Hey now, I'll take her. You get some rest," Raven placed his hand on her shoulder soothingly, "I'll be back soon."

He took Hallie's hand and led her to the car. Lorelei watched the two leave her eyesight, and felt that flutter inside of her chest again.

* * *

After the doctor examined Lorelei, and gave her some medication to use, he found nothing too serious that needed more attention than it was already getting, other than her tender stomach.

"At least there aren't any broken bones," Raven helped her to bed, and fixed her pillow.

"There shouldn't have been bruises either," Lorelei placed her hand over Raven's, and looked into his eyes.

She wanted to say something about what she'd heard the day before, but knew she that couldn't.

"I'm healing. That's what's important," Raven had to head into work soon. The pub was still closed, and he knew that his early morning drinkers were probably upset.

"I want you to start helping me around the pub."

"You hired me to be your housekeeper—"

"I know, but you'll earn more money, if you do. And of course, you'll still help out around the house, we all will in some way."

"Why are you being so nice to me?" Raven considered it for a moment. Why was he? Was it because he felt drawn to her?

"I'm not sure, Lorelei. But when I see you, all I want to do is make sure that you're okay," Lorelei leaned forward.

"I am okay, Raven," she softly smiled and placed the palm of her hand against his cheek. Raven welcomed the warmth, almost getting lost in the sensuality of her touch, "your cheeks are so soft," Lorelei whispered against his air, causing the hairs on his neck to stand.

"I guess they are," Raven's voice was so soft, and she closed her eyes, enjoying the feeling of being so close to her.

"You're really pretty for a boy, you know that, right?" Lorelei giggled, caressing Raven's cheek with the pad of her thumb.

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"You should," she replied, the gentle breath of her voice stinging Raven's neck, causing flutters to spiral in his chest.

Raven slowly pulled away, and opened his eyes. Lorelei's big, brown eyes held so much hesitation. She didn't seem to understand the way she was making Raven feel, and because of that, he moved away.

"Thank you, darling," Raven stood and stuffed his hands into his trouser pockets, "I have to go, but I'll be back before dinner. Paps will pick Hallie up from school, if that's okay?"

Lorelei nodded, "Raven?" He lifted his head in acknowledgement.

"Yeah, Lorelei?" She smiled, as he said her name.

"Thank you for everything. It really does mean a lot," Raven noticed that Lorelei was becoming happier by the day, and hopefully, in the weeks to come, she'd be as jolly as can be.