6

Raven got ready and left early the next morning, instructing Papa Colt what to do while he was away. Hallie woke up in the most comfortable bed that she'd ever laid in, and realized that it wasn't just a dream.

"Lory!" She ran into Lorelei's room, finding her sister brushing her hair with a broken comb, "is he our guardian angel?"

Lorelei pursed her lips and shrugged. She didn't know how to describe Raven, but he was definitely a man with the kindest heart.

"You have to get ready for school, but—"

"She'll go tomorrow, because today I'm taking you two to get some stuff."

"But I have to start working today," Lorelei replied.

"No need. Raven's decided to let you settle in properly first," no one should work with so many bruises on their body, "you two get dressed, just rap on my door when you're ready."

Papa Colt walked away, and headed into his quarters. Hallie bounced on her feet and pulled on her sister's dress.

"I need a bath," Lorelei led her sister into the bathroom, and turned on the tap, "can I use the shower?"

"No, you'll get your hair wet. Hurry up, okay?" Lorelei left her to bathe by herself, while she grabbed one of the two dresses that Hallie had. All of their clothes were a little too small. Thankfully, Lorelei got a few pieces from her late mother that still fitted her somewhat correctly.

She headed into Hallie's room and frowned at the mess. Tidying everything up, all that she could think of was if her father would tarnish the sympathy that she was being given. What if dealing with him becomes too much? They won't want her around anymore.

Smoothing the bedding, she remembered that she needed to give Hallie a towel to dry her skin. Grabbing it from her room, and heading over to the bathroom, she noticed that Raven's room was locked.

"Hurry up now," Hallie frowned and washed off her skin. She felt so squeaky clean that she didn't want her bath to be over, "don't forget your manners today, okay?" Lorelei reminded, as she patted down Hallie's skin with the towel.

"I know," she wrapped the towel around Hallie's body and led her into the bedroom.

"Your clothes are laid out on the bed. Get dressed while I finish cleaning your room."