9

"Have you ever chopped onions before?" Lorelei chuckled, as Raven attempted to finely slice the vegetables.

"Not really. Paps is the cooker, not me," his eyes felt as though they were bleeding.

"Never cut the head first," she confiscated the knife from him and ushered him to the sink, "wash your face while I finish this."

"Well, well," Savannah walked into the kitchen and grabbed Raven by his waist, "you're crying, honey?"

He pushed Savannah back and washed his face properly, before grabbing a hand towel, "he chopped the onions wrong," Lorelei looked at Savannah and noticed her hand still on Raven's waist.

"I see you took my advice, Lory. Ain't he a charmer?" She flattened his hair with the palm of her hand and kissed his cheek.

"Don't touch me please."

"Yeah, yeah. No wonder you don't have a girlfriend," Raven frowned and threw the towel onto the counter.

"And do you have a boyfriend? Or are you still fooling around with that married guy?" Lorelei pressed her lips together and focused on cooking. She knew that she was hired mostly because of discretion.

"Oh, Raven. You know I can't help myself when it comes to him. That's why I let the town believe that I'm dating you."

"You're the one spreading that rumor? And when I thought that we really just make a cute pair," Savannah fixed the collar of his shirt and shrugged.

"I'm too much for you to handle, you know that. I'd eat you alive," she giggled, "literally!"

"Shut up," Raven scolded and turned to Lorelei, as red as a tomato. She seemed to be minding her own business.

"Oh, come on. All I want is a taste," Savannah whispered in his ear, causing his whole body to flush.

"Stop it," he ran his fingers through his short, dark hair and headed over to the fridge.

"Don't act as though you don't like it. I know how much you like to admire girls," Raven glared at her, trying to shush her, "oh, come on, honey. I only tease you," Savannah turned and moved her hair over her shoulders.

"Mind unzipping this for me? I need to change into something for my date."

"Your date?" Raven pulled down the zipper, while focusing on a random object.

"Yeah, he's taking me for a late night stroll by the marina. I can't go looking like a hot mess," she slipped the dress off of her shoulders and headed towards Raven's bedroom.

Raven fished out his keys and followed her, "I locked it, hold on," he opened the door and she headed straight for the bed.

"So, do you like her?" Raven ignored her question and leaned against the doorframe, "she's a peach, honey. I really like her for you."

"That's why you recommended her?" Raven sighed, "she's just a young girl in need of some help, Savannah. I'm not going to take advantage."

"But you do like her, right?" Raven shrugged and chewed on his bottom lip, "she'd be the perfect wife, honey."

"I'm not thinking about that. All I'm focused on is keeping her safe. That's all."

Lorelei wasn't sure if they knew that she could hear them from the kitchen, "she's pretty, sweet, and I don't think she's going to cheat on you."

"I don't want to think about that. You know that's why I don't bother to date anymore."

"You must find a companion sooner or later," Savannah pulled her dress off of her body. Raven's probably seen her naked more times than her full-length mirror had.

"That's been momma's wish since I learnt to walk. But you know I can't find someone proper, not since Jasmine."

Savannah stood and walked over to Raven's closet, where she kept a few of her fancy dresses that Victor had gifted her.

"Your momma asked me to look out for you, and that's what I'm doing here. There's nothing wrong with protecting your heart, honey. But sooner or later, you'll have to let someone in again."