𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖 : 𝔻𝕆 𝕆𝕍𝔼ℝ

"𝑃𝑒𝑜𝑝𝑙𝑒 𝑜𝑛𝑙𝑦 𝑓𝑖𝑛𝑑 𝑚𝑒 𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑏𝑒𝑐𝑎𝑢𝑠𝑒 𝑡𝒉𝑒𝑦 𝑐𝑎𝑛'𝑡 𝑡𝑒𝑙𝑙 𝑤𝒉𝑒𝑡𝒉𝑒𝑟 𝐼’𝑚 𝑠𝑒𝑟𝑖𝑜𝑢𝑠 𝑜𝑟 𝑛𝑜𝑡

"𝑃𝑒𝑜𝑝𝑙𝑒 𝑜𝑛𝑙𝑦 𝑓𝑖𝑛𝑑 𝑚𝑒 𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑏𝑒𝑐𝑎𝑢𝑠𝑒 𝑡𝒉𝑒𝑦 𝑐𝑎𝑛'𝑡 𝑡𝑒𝑙𝑙 𝑤𝒉𝑒𝑡𝒉𝑒𝑟 𝐼’𝑚 𝑠𝑒𝑟𝑖𝑜𝑢𝑠 𝑜𝑟 𝑛𝑜𝑡."

.

𝐒𝐄𝐂  𝟎𝟏

It was grim.

Wendy could feel the suffocating atmosphere surrounding the woods that covered the entire mountain. A stench of blood caught her nostrils and she virtually shivered.

A low growling voice reached her too. That would be Mike. Zebro had informed about him. Due to her enhanced hearing she could clearly listen the ill intent in his growl; a guard dog trained to protect the premises wouldn't keep still knowing a stranger has stepped into his arc.

Killua had grown up here. Wendy slowly nodded in agreement. His actions and behaviour were justified considering he grew up in such a negative environment. She possibly couldn't know if she was being watched even then.

She halted her steps in front of a gate. There was a circle drawn on the ground, just at the entrance. A few drops of dried blood splattered the place.

Something didn't fit right.

According to Zebro it had been quite some time since Gon, Leorio and Kurapika had gone in. They should have left by now. What was taking them so long ?

Maybe they ran into trouble ? She shook her head dismissing the negative thoughts. Taking a deep breath she was going to step inside when a familiar forest scent touched her nose.

“ Wendy !”

She could never mistake that green attire and spiky hair for someone else. He looked beaten up and tired but the excitement and cheer in his eyes covered it.

Kurapika and Leorio came into view who were walking behind him. Unlike Gon they made zero effort to hide their fatigue.

And then there was him.

He was beside Gon and there was a hint of surprise in his gaze. Maybe he was not anticipating her being there. His usual, calculative eyes seemed too tired to analyse her and she also recognised a tinge of something else in them.

Guilt.

“ I told you she'll be here.” Gon approached her with a skip in his step and greeted her with a big grin on his face.“ Did you open the test gate ?”

“ Hm.” She nodded, smiling.

“ Woah ! You opened it by yourself? That's so cool !”

“ Wendy, you're late,” Kurapika said with a calm face, giving her a close eyed smile. Wendy gulped at his domineering comment.“ You said you'll be right behind us. And I was the guarantor. Not that I'm complaining. Just stating.”