Chapter 6

10 Years Ago

Jisoo and Rosé's words still go through my mind, it still scares me a little and I'm pretty sure mama sees that when I don't touch the food on my plate for dinner.

" Sweetie, is something wrong?" Mama asks me, her voice laced with concern. I know she's worried about me since I'm always eating my food lovingly, but today I've barely even touched it.

" It's nothing" I mumble, using my fork to gently stab one of the roasted baby carrots before putting it in my mouth.

" You know you can always tell us anything." Papa speaks up too once he realises himself that I'm not acting like myself. Do I make it that obvious?

It's probably best if I tell them, maybe reassurance is something I need right now or else I won't be able to sleep at night.

" Well, when we went to the butterfly park today - Jisoo and Rosé said something that scared me a little" I confess to them both. They both have encouraging looks on their face and signal for me to go on.

" Rosé had asked us what we'd name our butterfly if we had one as a pet and Jisoo said how she'd never let it leave because she'd want to keep it all to herself and not let other people admire it. And I find that weird because why wouldn't you want to grant a trapped animal freedom? And right after, rosé says how in order to do that - they would tie their wings together so the butterfly would never be able to leave them." I blurt out all at once, taking a sip of my lukewarm water when I realised my hands were shaking a little from reliving that memory.

It shouldn't be a big deal but it is to me.

Both of my parents have this weird expression plastered on their faces, one I can't tell what they are feeling.

" Honey, you have every right to be scared of what they said," Mama speaks up first, plastering a comforting smile on her face. " But, I think they just phrased it wrong. You know, it's kind of like me and mama" Baba added on after, confusion making its way to me quickly as I want to eagerly listen to his explanation.

" How so?" I ask, curiously.

" Well you see, sometimes people get jealous when their loved one gives special attention to others. If I see mama giving more attention to another man rather than me, I will feel jealous. But jealousy is normal, everyone feels it some way or another. Now, even though you feel jealous - you don't do something you will regret later on. Instead, you talk with your lover and compromise on how the jealousy can stop. So I think that's why Jisoo would want to keep the butterfly all to herself, because she would be jealous if other people admired it" Papa explains to me with me listening intently. He was making lots of sense, if what he was saying was true then it's the explanation I really needed to hear.

" But, me and Jisoo aren't lovers." I tell him

" Jealousy can happen within friendships as well, even with special bonds like she would have with her pet butterfly. Although, what rosé said was a little dark but I'm pretty sure she just accidentally phrased it wrong" Mama explains this time. I nod in understanding, finally realising that there was nothing to be scared about.

They were my friend's afterall.

Once the fear went away, I began to quickly eat my dinner - finally tasting the food after the fear being gone.

" Mama food is delicious" I tell her happily. She chuckles before smiling " that's my y/n"

It's not long before we all finish dinner, I help mama with the dishes before we all go into the living room - ready to have family movie night.