Chapter 7

9 Years Ago

It's the day that everyone has been excited about all month, the school picnic. I've never been so excited for something that relates to school before and I simply can't wait.

" Alright kids, settle down. I am going to be assigning your seats for the bus now so pay attention closely." Miss bea spoke loudly making the whole class stop chattering.
We all were standing outside the bus with our picnic bags on our shoulders, everyone was clearly excited.

" I hope we all get to sit together" Lisa whispered to all of us, making sure Miss Bea didn't hear since she told us to settle down.

I really wanted to sit with them, but papa told me that I should expand the circle of our friendship group. He said that I should make new friends that all of us will get along with, it's a good learning experience he says and gives you confidence.

So after listening to his words, I was kind of hoping Miss Bea would assign me with someone else so I could get to know more people and expand our circle of friends - like papa suggested.

Miss Bea started to go through the list of names and the kids who were called began to go inside and sit in the bus to their assigned seats.

" Y/n, you will be sitting with Carina." Miss Bea announced my name.

I cheered mentally knowing my wish came true, I looked at Lisa and she gave me a sad smile like she was pouting. I just gave her a thumbs up and a smile before I went to the front of the bus where the girl named Carina waited for me.

Once I made it to the front, I gave her a smile and we both entered the bus. I wanted to start a conversation but I decided it would be best once we're seated. Carina went to the second last row of the bus and chose the window seat, leaving the aisle seat for me. I settled down and put my bag under the chair before fastening my seat belt while more kids made their way in the bus.

" I'm y/n" I introduced myself.

This girl was oddly quiet and didn't reply, all she did was stare out the window. Maybe she didn't like introductions?

" So..are you excited for the picnic?" I asked her, trying to start a conversation once again. I wasn't about to give up so easily. I'm a very sociable person and I'm sure I'll get her to be comfortable around me sooner or later.

" Not really." She replied emotionlessly, her eyes not leaving the window.

She was strange.

Every person here was pumping with excitement, but she wasn't - it was kind of hard to believe.

" Why is that?" I asked her, curious to know her answer. I mean, what person would not be excited about spending time with their friends in a park doing lots of outdoor activities with snacks you could munch on.

She finally looked away from the mirror and to me, giving me an expression I couldn't quite read.

" Look, you don't have to force yourself to talk to me." She said blandly.
My eyebrows rose in confusion and I blinked a couple of times, trying to process what she just said.

" Why would you say that?" I asked, almost feeling heart broken that she'd think I was being forced to talk to her. Was I mean or unkind?

" Everyone leaves me in the end anyways, so you don't need to force yourself to talk to someone who you're stuck with on a bus. I can change seats with your friends if you'd like to sit with them." She replied. My heart broke at her words, but she remained her same expression.

It was like she was used to this life, that she had said those same words a hundred times so they didn't affect her anymore.

" I am not being forced to talk to you and I want to get to know you so no, I don't want you to change seats with my friends. I wanna be friends with you." I told her, trying to give her comfort and reassurance. I don't know if she's just a sad kid or if she's had a rough life but I wanted to show her I wasn't someone who was fake.