Chapter 17

1 Year Ago

My hands cover my mouth as I try to keep my sobs in. She was my friend, my fucking friend who I went out with for dinner two days ago and now she is missing. Jihyo was someone I met in my biology class. She had always been in my class but I had never noticed her and when we were assigned to a project together, it was like we clicked.

We talked and laughed like we had known each other for our whole lives which is why we decided to go out after school to get dinner. I told Jisoo and Rosé since they asked to meet up and I declined since I waa going out with Jihyo. And we had such a good time. The night was filled with so much laughter until we both seperated ways to go to our own homes.

The weekend went by and Jihyo didn't answer any of my texts so I assumed she was busy since I hadn't known her for a long time, but just two days later, I come to school and get told she is missing since she left the restaurant and we separate ways.

What if something happened to her?

Is it my fault for not walking home with her?

It doesn't help the fact that Jisoo, Rosé, Jennie and Lisa are nowhere to be seen, but at least I know they are okay. They texted me over the weekend, they just aren't at school for some strange reason. Whenever I text them about their whereabouts, they turn my questions down.

Everyone is sitting in our biology class with the news live, ready to start. It's not normal for Jihyo to skip school since she was always an A star student, but for the first time ever, she's not here. Even the teacher is worried. Everyone goes silent once the news headlines pop up before the reporter is finally live.

" Hello, this is Abigail speaking live on international news. Investigators have found student dead body of Jihyo Park on the 5th of May, this morning inside the 'moonway forest'. She was found with small cuts all over her body and a third degree burn on her own hand, we suspect that she bled to her death considering the huge cut on her throat. Investigators are still trying to figure out who killed her, but unfortunately, no suspects or witnesses have been in sight, yet. We mourn for the family of the student as they digest this information and send our condolences. To learn more, catch up with us on the afternoon news after the break. Until then, see you soon. " It's like my whole body stop functioning over-all because after that, I stare at the image of Jihyo's dead body on the news, unable to pull my eyes away from it until the teacher stops showing it all together. There is this pulsing in my throat, a lump that threatens I'm going to start screaming. I can't digest this information and get up, running out of the classroom and towards the restroom. The teacher doesn't say anything and lets everyone take the information in their own way. As I slam the bathroom door shut and lock it, I walk in further to see Jisoo, Rosé, Jennie and Lisa standing there with a smile on their faces, but it's quick to disappear when they notice my tears.

" Y/n/n? What happened?" I run into Rosé's arms since she was the closest and squeeze her tight as I sob into her chest, feeling how my tears wet the fabric of her shirt. She shushes me and pats my back, the other three coming in for a hug along. I keep sobbing and crying into her chest, unable to stop the tears from flowing and not able to make the pain go away. So much regret lives within me and I can't describe how I feel. If maybe I had walked her home, she wouldn't have died. Or, Or..

" Hey, let's start to take some deep breaths, okay?" I refuse to listen to Jisoo but she pulls me apart from Roseanne carefully and slowly, all of them now looking at my broken face while I started to go into hyperventilation, struggling to breath.

" Listen, just close your eyes." I do as she says, already feeling myself panting as the stress gets to me. For the first time, I feel like I deserve it. Deserve to feel all stressed and deserve to not breath because it was my fault that Jihyo died.