1

(Alarm blaring )

Hazel: groans and reaches for her phone ) ugh , happy birthday to me.

Hazel pov: I'm Hazel Harris and I'm 18 years old. I was born and raised in Miami,Florida. I pretty much grew up on my own. Bounced around from foster home to foster home up until I turned 11. I had a rough life , my first foster family I met when I was 4 and they abused the hell out of me. When my social worker found out she immediately removed me and placed me with my second family. That one was even worse , it was a mom, dad, 3 teenage sons and 1 teenage daughter. I lived with them between the ages of 6-10. I was removed from their care because the mother was letting her sons and husband sexually assault me. At age 11, I was placed in the care of Ms. Lily. I love that lady to death. She's the sweetest woman ever. When I got placed in her care she had 2 daughters Jada who was 13 and  Ashley who was 15. They welcomed me with open arms and she made sure I was well taken care of. I was so traumatized from my previous homes it took me forever to warm up to them, but they never gave up on me. Sadly I just turned 18 today and I'm officially out of the system. I don't even know what to do now. I grudgingly got out the bed and made my way down the hall to the bathroom. I turned my music on but kept it low so I wouldn't wake up everyone. I had to be at my social worker's office at 9am sharp. While waiting on the shower to get to the right temperature, I stood in front of the mirror and looked at my body. I had several failed suicide attempts and had the scars to prove it and also scars from the abuse I suffered over the years. I'm on a journey of finding my self love again. For years I never felt I was pretty or had any reason to live but my sisters and mama Lily helped me start overcoming those feelings. I stepped out of my clothes and into the shower. The water was nice and hot and it felt so relaxing. Once I finished that I wrapped up in my towel and started doing my hair. I couldn't figure out what I wanted to wear today. It's my birthday and I don't even want to do anything. I'm sad because I age out of the foster care system and I just feel like I'm bout to lose my family. Mama Lily and my sisters are all I got and I come to love them.

(Hazel below)